Virginia Tech Engineering Transfer pool questions!

Hey all,

I’m currently a freshman CS major at Radford University. Last semester I finished with a 3.93 GPA.

I am planning on applying to transfer into VT’s school of engineering in fall of 2018.

My main question is, if I do not get accepted into the school of engineering, will they put me in general admissions, or will I get rejected completely?

Also, assuming that I have two semesters of calculus, two semesters of calc. based physics, one semester of chemistry, and two semesters of English, and lets say a 3.75gpa, what are my chances? I’m an RA this year (and will be next year), I work part time in IT during the school year, and full time in IT over the summer.

Oh also, if I have 3 semesters at Radford, will they still look at my high school transcripts (they were far from stellar)?

Thanks!

If you don’t get into engineering, you get rejected completely. They won’t look at your high school transcripts though, and with your current GPA and classes you’re almost certainly gonna get in.

You should have a good shot but it may take more than 2 years to get your degree as it would be fall 2019 before you’d be admitted (VT hasn’t admitted transfers for spring semester in the past)

Look at the class check sheet for CS engineering and see how many of those classes you can knock out before transferring http://www.cs.vt.edu/files/CSMajor2018final.pdf - this isn’t exactly the one you’d be working under but it’s the newest one out there. Typically aren’t a lot of changes year to year unless they’re doing a major redo. Might be work asking at some point if they anticipate doing that.

Also check the equivalency charts to make sure each class will transfer in https://banweb.banner.vt.edu/ssb/prod/hzsktgid.P_DispTranGuide

This should give you an idea of what to take and how much you’d have left if you did the transfer.

Hm alright. I’m okay with taking 3 years to get my degree, however, my main concern right now is that some of the course I have taken are not listed whatsoever on the transfer database.

Engineering transfers are required to take the equivalent of two semesters of VT’s English, and I have taken two semesters here. My first semester transfers over correctly, but this semester I took honors English (I got accepted into the honors program here), and it transfers as ENGL 1204H. I don’t know if that will count as my second semester of English. if not, I might have to basically retake the non-honors version of it,which will be really frustrating.

Also, apparently Calc. I and Calc. II only counts as Calc. I at VT, meaning I have to take up to calc. III in order to get credit for calc II. That’s really frustrating.

My son got freshman English credit by virtue of his SAT score (which was pretty good but not like 700+). Might be worth checking on that.

@JustGraduate I have a 630 reading and 530 writing, so probably not good enough I assume.

Might want to check on it, the 630 might do it

I am a returnin student, im 28. I went to college a while ago, had a 2.4 GPA then dropped out and joined the military.

I have a 3.9 now, applied and got accepted. i think youll be very likely to get in, but the spring semester is harder to transfer in! do NOT dismiss this! Spring is MUCH more competitive.