Virginia Tech Engineering

Will I be able to get into Tech Engineering with my stats?

Weighted GPA: 4.0
SAT: 1410 (Math is 750 and Reading is 660)
I’m in the IB Program
Extra curriculars: Tennis team ( started all 3 years, first and second year we went to state finals, currently number 1 on team), Robotics (1 year), DECA (State qualifier), FBLA, National French Honors Society, National Honors Society, Volunteer hours (100+ at nearby hospital)

Anyone?? I am also in state student

Unweighted GPA?

I’m not sure my school gives weighted only.

Assuming you have taken and did well in chemistry, physics, and highest level of math available to you, I think you have a good chance.

I am taking Physics next year and high school calculus. Chemistry I had a B though.

I calculated my unweighted gpa and it would be something like a 3.3 and that’s low but I’m hoping my SAT might make up for it.

“I am taking Physics next year and high school calculus. Chemistry I had a B though.”

My slightly educated guess is that you will get in. Your math score is excellent. My son just finished his first year. He applied for BIT and was admitted. Math is not his favorite subject but he had mostly A’s in it. If you are interested in Computer Science consider BIT. You are asked for first and second choice major. For every other major you will get in. Many choose “University Studies” as the second choice and take Engineering classes and change into the major second year. I understand they are trying to close the ability to do that.

My advice would be to do all the optional essays on the application. Do some research and decide whether VT is the most important thing or Engineering. If you are focused on Engineering apply to some other Engineering schools such as GMU and VCU. If you want merit aid don’t apply ED. Don’t apply ED if you don’t absolutely know without question how you will pay for college. You as a student can only borrow $5500 the first year without a parent taking loans. My son applied RD and waited until close to May to accept VT and they sent a last minute scholarship that is so generous he didn’t borrow any money. VCU only offered him $5k per year. Good luck.

Appreciate the feedback! Engineering is more important for me because I’m looking for a school that has a good program. I also like VT in general, it’s an extremely nice place. I’m going to keep pushing on the SAT so it stands out from other applicants and to balance out my GPA. I’m also going to take the ACT and SAT Subject Math tests to show interest in math even more. Suprisingly as it is, I saw that the average SAT scores for engineering on the VT website are around 1290. Is this stat right, or is this actually the average for the engineering department? It’s from 2015 but I converted it towards the new sat scale. So what is universal studies? I’ve heard it a lot of times but never grasped the idea of what it actually is.

For 2015, Engineering Admits and enrolled specifically, Mean SAT 685, Verbal 606 and GPA 4.12

http://ir.vt.edu/data/student/admissions.html

Look at College of Engineering - General Engineering.

2016 CoE enrollment stats - 1650 students

75th percentile SAT Math - 730
Read - 670
Write - 650
GPA - 4.35

25th percentile Math - 650
Read - 570
Write - 560
GPA - 3.97

One potential issue though is that just under HALF of the CoE students are OOS. That means it’s quite possible that the in state grades + scores are actually higher, especially if you’re from NoVa, Richmond, or Hampton Roads. Does your HS typically send quite a few students to VT CoE?

University Studies = undecided major

I’m close to the Richmond area but I know a lot of students from my school that go to tech.

So the question will be how you match up with those from your HS who apply to VT from a grades and test score standpoint.

I’m in the IB program currently so I’m different classes than AP students. My sophmore year was a little rough as I was out for 2-3 weeks with an injury and missed a lot in that time. For junior year alone my gpa is around a 4.9, so hopefully that will make up for the slump I had my sophmore year.

@VConqueror S had a GPA 4.22W and 1430 SAT and just got rejected from Virginia Tech Engineering (in-state, from NoVa). He had good ECs also (including Eagle Scout, National Commended Scholar, etc.) But several weeks later, they wrote to S saying that he could squeeze in Engineering if he took the summer STEP program and passed all his summer classes and the calculus exam. Since that program costs several thousand dollars and came with no guarantee, S decided to go to UCF instead. All the best to you! Tech’s one of the nations’ best for engineering.

Yeah more specifically I’m looking at school with good computer science programs. UCF is not a bad school for computer science, it’s on par with VT for it. Both starting salaries for computer science is about 60k so it’s equal with tech. Tech has more successful programs in engineering which make it a better school to attend to I guess.

@VConqueror I agree. You may also want to consider George Mason University if you’re interested in computer science. S was impressed when he took the tour there. GMU also gives out scholarships (S received a small one, which was very much appreciated) – something that seems to be in short supply at other Virginia universities.

Yeah I haven’t heard that much about GMU, but I will definately look at it. I’m also trying for the University of Illinois because my cousin went there and recently just graduated. GPA I’m still weak on but hopefully if other parts of application are strong, I could possibly get in. Did your S apply for that school? It’s also top in the nation for engineering but it accepts about 60% of its applicants who apply.

Would it help if took the SAT Subjects tests for Math and Physics? Given that I perform well on them, would they help show my interest in the engineering field even more?

I do not believe VT considers or takes SAT subject test.