Virginia Tech or JMU Engineering

<p>Okay so i got into jmu, their honors program, and would be able to enter there engineering program as a freshman next year. I also got into virginia tech, university studies major (no engineering, yet). Any ideas on which school would be a better choice for me? I know jmu has a less established/well known engineering program, but i would probably be near the top of the class and would be able to get more internships and research opportunities. At tech, I would have to transfer into engineering and there would be a lot more competition for research and internships. Any thoughts would be appreciated.</p>

<p>I looked into the engineering program at JMU and, just my opinion, found it too unfocused and too liberal arts oriented for my tastes. Also, not too sure what kind of engineer you call yourself when you graduate. For example, here is a FAQ from the JMU website: </p>

<p>Will there be engineering sub-disciplines such as mechanical or chemical as at other schools of engineering?
No, this will be a broad-based engineering program that draws from many areas of engineering to train engineering versatilists who are aware of the need for sustainability in the systems and devices they design. </p>

<p>I understand their first class graduated in 2012 so I would ask about their graduates employment history. If your goal is to get internships and research opportunites, examine that history as well. Also, check to see if JMU has obtained ABET accreditation.</p>

<p>Did you apply to any other engineering schools?</p>

<p>I got into JMU and University of Delaware for engineering. I got rejected from uva and only got into university studies at virginia tech. Delaware isn’t really an option for me unless can get a scholarship (out of state tutition), and at virginia tech i would immediately be behind.</p>

<p>I know JMU’s engineering program isnt focased in a certain area and you graduate with a “general engineering” degree, but I as of right now, don’t really know what kind of engineering I want to pursue. Also, a jmu engineering representative i spoke to seemed confident jmu will get their ABET accreditation this summer and said their graduates have no issue going to grad school or getting jobs post graduation. </p>

<p>I’m thinking about going to jmu and maybe transfering into virginia tech’s engineering program after a year or so if I find JMU’s program isn’t the best option for me. I would be able to take the intro engineering classes at jmu and be relatively on pace if i transfer to tech, or i could just stay at JMU if I like what I’m doing there. </p>

<p>This is such a tough decision. i’m going to these schools later this week maybe that will help narrow this down. As of right now it’s just between JMU and virginia tech for me though.</p>

<p>JMU was eligible to apply for ABET accreditation in 2012. I’m not sure the results but most importantly there won’t be a sufficient track record to see how the graduates are viewed in the market place.</p>

<p>Is there a need for graduates with a general engineering knowledge? I can think of non-engineering paths, e.g., patent lawyer or someone who plans to pursue an MBA after 3-4 years work experience. I’m not sure though about “real” engineering jobs. I’d suggest that you look very closely at what the real opportunities are for you with this degree from JMU.</p>

<p>Consider the fact that you have an engineering offer at JMU, versus as no guarantees at Virginia Tech. All I can think of is a bird in the hand, is better than 2 in the bush.</p>

<p>My impression was jmu’s program puts you through a much broader undergraduate program and toward the end of your undergraduate you can take specific chemical, electric, enviromental, biological, ect. classes to get yourself ready for grad school where you can specializ in a specific field. I think you would need to go to grad school anyway to get a “real engineering job”. I’m also thinking about going to jmu and maybe transfering into virginia tech’s engineering program after a year or so if I find JMU’s program isn’t the best option for me.</p>

<p>Based on your posts, It appears you prefer JMU and are looking for someone to agree with you. JMU engineering does not compare to VT’s program in any way, but that does not meant it isn’t right for you or a bad decission. One item you may want to consider: It is easier and you have a greater probability (assuming good grades) to transfer from VT US to Engineering than it is to transfer from JMU to VT engineering. (I have 3 friends that all went from VT US to Engineering after their freshman year)</p>

<p>There is only one course at VT that is part of the first sem eng curriculum you cannot take from US (into class). Many students either take this online over the summer prior to entering VT, or at the local CC first semester (New River in Christiansburg I believe). It’s not hard to get a ride as this really is common. When you transfer you are not behind your peers. Is it ideal or what you wanted? No. Is it a very workable solution towards an excellent engineering school? Yes.</p>

<p>ben12121,</p>

<p>A good friend of mine is an engineer and I ran this whole scenario by him today. My son was not accpeted at VT but is in at JMU (as well as some other engineering schools out of state). I will send you a private message on his response tomorrow. The response is on my work e-mail account and I’m at home now, but it was very interesting from his perspective. He did his engineering at WVU and masters and VT. My son is a little unsettled about the JMU program but my friend had a lot of good points regarding it.</p>

<p>thanks ChrisVA1. I’m definetly a little unsettled about the JMU engineering program, like your son. I can’t wait to hear what your friend has to say about it.</p>

<p>My son started in University Studies in 09’ but was able to quickly move into General Engineering. It’s not that difficult if you do well once you get to Virginia Tech. As blueiguana noted, you would take the same classes your first semester except for one course. So, if Virgnia Tech is your preference, I wouldn’t let the University Studies sitiuation deter you. However, if you prefer JMU because of social,financial,distance factors,etc. that s a different story. My son almost did go to JMU himself until he got off Virginia Tech’s waitlist. Both are good schools.Good luck with your decision!</p>

<p>i decided to go to virginia tech and will hopefully be able to transfer into engineering. JMU’s program seemed just a little too new for my taste and i get the feeling you would have to go to graduate school after you graduate. They are both great schools and I’m sure students can be successful at both.</p>

<p>Congratulations on making the decision,ben12121. I’ll bet it’s a relief to have it settled. Have fun at Virginia Tech!</p>

<p>Ben12121, I am so glad that I stumbled upon your post. My daughter was accepted to Clemson for Engineering, and UCSD for Engineering but VT for University Studies. She was super bummed because VT was her first choice. Also a huge factor in her choice is that her cousin and best friend was accepted to VT and it was a stretch school for her. Our family is very excited because they want to room together, but daughter is not sure because of not getting into engineering. I saw somewhere on this thread that there is a course you can take online over the summer to stay on par with the engineering students. If anyone has more information on this please post here… and congratulations Ben! Perhaps you will meet my daughter who will be trying for the same thing. Best of luck to all of you who plan to get into engineering!</p>

<p>@rockstarmama, Southwest Va CC has an online course that qualifies:</p>

<p><a href=“Redirect Notice”>Redirect Notice;

<p>I pulled the link off a another thread (<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/1309075-i-denied-virginia-techs-general-engineering-program-accepted-univerisity-2.html?highlight=Southwest[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/1309075-i-denied-virginia-techs-general-engineering-program-accepted-univerisity-2.html?highlight=Southwest&lt;/a&gt;) I hope they work. Good luck</p>

<p>My daughter is a freshman engineer at Tech and has numerous friends who were not initially selected into engineering – it has not been a big deal for any of them to get in to E after their 1st semester. As mentioned they took the class at the community college and did respectably (around 3.0) their first semester and got it. Also HIGHLY recommend that you look at the 5 week Student Transition Engineering Program (STEP) [Student</a> Transition Engineering Program (STEP) | <a href=“http://www.eng.vt.edu%5B/url%5D”>www.eng.vt.edu](<a href=“http://www.eng.vt.edu/step]Student”>http://www.eng.vt.edu/step)</a> offered at TECH in the summer for incoming engineering or potential engineering students. It is worth every penny (about $1800 for everything) – the students had a jump on their peers with chemistry and engineering, eased their transition into Tech, made great friends and study partners so they started with a significant leg up. I believe it helped the Univ Studies students get into Engineering 2nd semester.</p>

<p>Perhaps the program has changed since you looked at it, but according to their web site link that you posted which is for the 2013 upcoming STEP, only accepted Engineering students can attend, not University Studies students;</p>

<p>“Only those students who have been accepted into Virginia Tech’s College of Engineering will be considered for admission to this program. In order to attend STEP, you must officially accept and plan to enroll in the College of Engineering.”</p>

<p>Despite what it may say about it on the STEP website, if not enough Engineers enroll they take Univ St. In fact the office is doing a call-a-thon using former STEP students next week to contact Univ Studies students to encourage them to enroll in STEP. Contact the CEED office and ask them directly – it should not be a problem getting in.</p>

<p>BTW, the limit for STEP is 100 students. It did not fill last year even with the US students.</p>