Virginia Tech - Questions

Hello! I am a junior and I’ve been eyeing VT for a while now! I think today was the day where a few people found out of they got into VT and I was wondering what your stats were (SAT, GPA, Extracurricular, Class Rank, etc…)? Also did anyone apply to School of Engineering?

Would it be better to apply early or apply regular and why?
Can I apply to two schools (Like I want to apply for their Engineering program but could I also apply for their Science School or can I only apply to one?)

Thanks!

Even though I still have time to stress out about it (lol) I really want to get into this college. My GPA currently is around a 4.8 this year and I think 4.4 overall. I already have 100+ volunteer hours and I’m in a lot of EC. I’m in a program for my school where I graduate with an associates degree and am currently taking DE classes. I am a female, minority and come from a lowish income family.

You would actually only apply to Engineering.

You can apply Early Admission (but that is binding but way to go if VT is your first choice). Otherwise apply Early Action (do not wait for Regular decision as there won’t be a lot of spots left then).

If you look at the active thread here at top for EA (Early Action) you will see lots of posts of SAT/GPA and those getting into Engineering.

With you having a 4.4 currently overall you should have a good shot at engineering. Just get a good SAT and good math grades and your in good shape.

What do you mean that I’ll only apply to Engineering? I thought there were different things for each major (sciences for School of Science and engineering only for School of Engineering. I thought it was more difficult to get into the school of Engineering?)
And thank you!

You acted as though you wanted engineering

When you apply you choose a major and you are excepted by major. If you apply to a major and don’t get in then you don’t get in virginia tech.

Many majors you can change once you get to tech. Except engineering is very difficult to transfer into. - - you have to apply and be accepted into engineering when you apply to tech.

It is more difficult to get in college of engineering

Okay I think understand, thank you again!

You can review prior years admissions stats by major at the attached link. The 2019-2020 data will normally show up around end of October.

https://www.ir.vt.edu/data/student/admissions.html

You can apply ED (early decision binding) EA (early action) or RD (regular decision). Currently, you apply to only 1 choice of major. This may change in future who knows.

So if I want to apply to VT Engineering, I can’t apply to their Science School? VT is my #1 college and I’m not sure if I would qualify for their Engineering school, so should I apply to their School of Science? For example if I get denied from their Engineering school, would I be able to apply for their other majors or is that it, I’m just cut? I feel like it would be a safer choice to apply to their school of Science.
Thanks you!

You can only apply for and be considered for one major. Because engineering is so sought after, many think they’ll get accepted in a less competitive major and change their major to engineering later. But Tech makes it very difficult to switch into engineering if you’ve started with a different major.

If you want engineering - apply engineering. With a 4.4 GPA as long as decent SAT in the 1350+ range you should get in.

Thank you both of you!