Virginia Tech Regular Decision Thread

Does anyone know about what range I might get for aid and scholarships? I’m out of state, and I know most state schools do little to no aid, but for scholarships (and I guess aid) what would be optimistic? From what I’ve seen I really like VT and the engineering program, but the base cost is much higher than my state school.

(My EFC for FAFSA was 29k but I know sometimes 100% need based schools don’t get there so the chance of VT getting me there with financial aid is next to zero, if it helps to figure out scholarships I have decently high stats [34 ACT, 3.95 UWGPA, 7 APs, good ECs…] )

Well, shoot, @lolodavis, now I am gonna have to stay up to find out.

Sorry @PhilipM… The tweet was @VTFinancialAid on March 10…

Time is ticking down… aid packages will go out in the mail for incoming freshman on Monday March 12, 2018. The information will also be available online after midnight on Monday.

@VTFinancialAid also tweeted this link to make sense of what’s posted… https://■■■■/GlsQFdfi7l

Is anyone else getting an error that says
com.ellucian.sso.exception.ApplicationException: UDC Id not available ?

Stayed up for nothing. Just found this on the VT FINAID FB page…

Time is ticking down… aid packages will go out in the mail for incoming freshmen on Monday March 12, 2018. The information will also be available online after midnight Monday evening/Tuesday morning.

@PhilipM I don’t see it…interesting

Sorry @PhilipM… Clearly the message on their FB has more info than their Twitter…

I stayed up too hoping it would post…Twitter showed packages would post Monday at midnight which has passed. I couldn’t find the FB message either.

the message I found posted on Friday apparently. I only found when I searched on VT FINAID. The page is hard to find and I wasnt able to follow it.

Thank you!

Delayed opening (11am) on VT campus today due to snow. I hope this doesn’t delay everyone’s FA packages!

Good luck all!

@STEM2017 thank you! I sort of figured no money at all for oos students, so it’s good to hear there’s a possibility of something.

Current view from Burruss Hal…

https://vtnews.vt.edu/webcams/burruss.html

@mom2cats Why would you think that? Most schools blogs seem to suggest the opposite – more merit for OOS to compete and lure from the candidates in state flagships. So far it is what we have experienced. I suspect it does not matter whether a candidate is in state or out of state for merit/financial awards. I DO think that admittance is biased somewhat for In state candidates at state supported schools, however. I guess we will see soon enough.

I have a sibling in VT Honors College… believe me- IS students get wayyy more money than OOS

@snowmenrsocool How does your sibling like the Honors College? Engineering? East AJ or Hillcrest?

@N2TheFuture! makes a valid point. IS students may pay significantly less than OOS but often OOS students get more merit aid. For example, My D is OOS for University of South Carolina. She received a scholarship offer waving out of state tuition, so that’s a 22k scholarship. An IS kid with similar grades is probably not going to get 22k merit aid but even half or a quarter of that would mean the IS student pays a fair bit less than we would to send our daughter there. Seems like a good strategy to attract OOS kids yet still provide a benefit to IS kids whose families’ taxes help fund the school. I haven’t a clue whether any of this applies to how VT distributes aid. We are IS and are expecting, based on our EFC, to pay full IS freight if my D elects to go there (which would be about the same as what we would pay OOS to South Carolina with the scholarship).

@PhilipM Yes, this has been our limited experience thus far at other schools. Say IS COA is $20k and OOS COA is $40k. After they decide who to admit or not, they might give $5k per year to the IS stellar student and $10 per year OOS equivalent stellar student. IS student pays less at $15k than the OOS student at $30k per year, but the OOS student still received better merit aid. The OOS student’s home flagship may not award any merit and would be $20k per year if equivalent to the other school. The $10k difference may not be enough, but if the OOS schools is preferred it could tip the scales to bring high quality OOS kids into the fold. Also remember that a university does not necessarily desire to have all IS kids – it does not add anything to the diversity and experience of the student body. Numbers are rounded to give an idea.