Virginia Tech Regular Decision Thread

I just saw an instagram post that said all decisions will be coming much sooner than April 1. Check your guest account after 5 p.m. on March 5, and offer packets will follow soon after that! Good luck future Hokies!

Admission sites says decisions released March 5, nothing about a later batch.

Do you all think when they are saying it is more competitive that they are talking about the top 10 majors mostly or do you think the smaller ones will take a huge toll in the competivness as well?

I think all majors equally, but that is of course just a guess as no stats are posted with the split of apps that I have seen.

Question! Do you all believe that a student who submitted their application in November regular decision has a better chance of one who submitted it in January ? Being that they may have already gone over those applications before they knew this was a competitive year ?

It was posted on their Facebook page today that all freshman admissions decisions would be available on March 5 after 5:00 PM

It’s nice to have a potential finish line in sight. It looks like JMU will be the latest decision for my son’s VA schools now. I’m certain that UMass will be the absolute latest decision based on previous year horror stories of notifications going out just prior to May 1st.

@hopefullyhokie22 I think they are reviewing the deferreds, RD 12/1 and RD 1/15 in one big batch. So, I don’t think there is a better chance for the 12/1 RD applicants over the 1/15’s. Also, and I could be dead wrong, if there are 2 applicants that are very similar, I assume they would pick the ED deferred applicant over a RD applicant because they know the ED (binding) applicant made VT their first choice. Again - I’m just guessing. There has been so much weirdness in college acceptances this year (at many schools) that it’s hard to say what will happen or who will get in.

@lastone03 Yeild % is an often discussed topic with college admissions and I think you could be right about ED deferrals vs RD.

Son accepted today. OOS. Engineering.

@uknewnenglanddad how did he find out?

@collegesoon1221 By email. Portal still doesnt show anything.

Wow. Please know that I am truly thrilled for you and your son @collegesoon1221 . But, I’m sure I’m not alone in feeling disappointed that VT prioritized some groups over others. As an in-state and deferred from Early Decision…it would have been nice to hear in this newly discovered “early-regular-release round”

Who did they send emails out to today? Is it people who got into first choice major like last year or just random?

Don’t think this is any different than last year. I believe some international and OOS (full pay?) were release before the rest of the RDs last year too.

@uknewnenglanddad reported that her son received an admissions email as an OOS Engineering Student (commentt #129 + next few)

I just got off the phone with admissions, Only applicants who applied as international students were notified today. All others will be notified on March 5, 2018

@ihopeigetintoVT Thanks. I’m sure there’s some logic to prioritizing out-of-state applicants. Growing up in Pennsylvania, it was my recollection that in-state students had a slight advantage within state-funded universities…but, that was a few decades ago ::

Just got an email from VT admissions saying decisions will be out at 5pm on March 5th.

I have not received a single email from VT?.