Virginia Tech Transfer Students for Fall 2018

Starting a Fall ‘18 Transfer thread like we’ve had the past few years.

This is a discussion for Virginia Tech Transfer Students for Fall 2018. If you have any questions, post here.

If the transfer acceptance timeline is similar to the past 4 years (based on info from previous Fall transfer threads) the acceptances will be in waves. The first wave should be on the first Friday in March (2 Mar), and the last one on the last Friday in April (27 April). In 2016 and 2017 there seemed to be another wave the last Friday in March (30 Mar) with some of the acceptances received into the following week. In 2015 acceptances were at random times between the first and last wave.

Of course, with the extra large freshman class last Fall (and the fact that Virginia Tech is not doing Community College instant decision day or priority review this year), the timeline could be a little different than the past few years.

Applying as a sophomore (therefore incoming Junior) for Fall 2018.
GPA: 3.43 (3.79 last semester…hoping that I will get the same for the spring).
Current College: University of Rhode Island
Degree(s): Computer Engineering & Chinese (Language) with a minor in Data Science
I applied for the College of Engineering… so I’m not sure how my chances are haha.

What are my chances to get in if I am a sophomore, I Have a 4.0 but I have 2 w’s on my record? also arent the decisions made on may 1st. I am so confused

Transfer2k18: I’d feel pretty good about my chances with a 4.0, but it might depend on major and if you have the core courses completed. I’m not sure how admissions view W’s, that would be a good question for them. 1 May is the official transfer acceptance date, but historically the decisions have started much sooner (see above).

I was waiting for this thread

I sent my transcripts two weeks before my application (Jan 16), and they still haven’t received them. Anyone else in the same boat?

@VTHopeful0 Partially in the same boat, College transcripts received (sent late Dec) but not the HS transcripts (sent early Jan). I read on the regular decision freshman thread that transcripts were taking a while to be matched to the records so not surprising.

I applied for business school, I read it is very competitive.@trout812

@Transfer2k18 it is competitive but over half of transfer applicants for the business school were accepted last year…so there’s a pretty good chance.

https://irweb.ir.vt.edu/webtest/admission_data.aspx

It’s February! I hope I have a decision next month!

VCCS student
Graduate this summer
3.70 GPA
Applied to Pamplin
not eligible GAA
Also applied JMU, GMU

I’ve looked at other forums like this from past years and I see promising things, but also scary ones and I just don’t want to get my hopes up. could yall be honest about my chances so I get an idea of how I should feel thanks!

Radford University
freshman
first semester: 3.47
bio major

extras: I’m in the pre-med association and I’m currently rushing Alpha Phi Omega (a community service frat) that tech also has so my community service hours can translate over… if any of that even means anything lol

@flavaclay tough to say what your chances are with far less info that the admissions staff has (and no I’m not recommending you to post all your info here).

On the surface you gpa is good, but since you’re a freshman I’m assuming you only have 1 semester of college work for their decision. With limited college to assess you, the admissions staff may look at your HS transcript more than someone with more college credits. They’ll also look at the classes you’ve taken and the ones you’re enrolled in now (math, science, English…the core).

I think with you’re GPA you have a shot, and based on past admissions threads don’t be surprised if they ask for your mid-term grades in March to give them more info to make a decision. Good luck.

hey, @trout812 I appreciate it, all but one of my classes transfer (University 100) so fingers crossed!!

Hey guys, I’m currently a sophomore looking to transfer to Pamplin in the fall. I have a 3.8 gpa, but i haven’t completed all of my math requisites. Do you know how much they focus on whether or not your math, science and English requirements are completed?

@Transfer2k18 Maybe May 1st is the final notification date. They may send decisions in waves, throughout the semester, while May is the absolute notification date.

@2379sparkshokie my friend xfered into Pamplin last year with the English, and science classes done but not all the math. With your GPA as long as you’ve done some math you should be okay.

I am a current freshmen student at George Mason University hoping to transfer. (I am very nervous so I wanted to see what you guys thought of my chances)

I am a Chemistry major with a 3.87 GPA. Most of my credits transfer, (plus I have dual enrollment credits for English). Additionally, I am a part of the Honors College.

I applied 1/21, and my transcripts got there 1/30. Any ideas when decisions should be out?

is it still true that when you’re accepted a hokie appears in your application or something like that? I was reading some threats from years ago and people who got accepted got something like that on their application?

@Transfer2k18 they no longer do that