Virginia Tech vs. University of Pittsburgh Engineering

Can you please share pros and cons between Virginia Tech college of engineering vs. University of Pittsburgh Swanson college of engineering. Thanks

Have you been accepted or are you planning on applying?

1 Like

Is there a meaningful cost differential? Do you prefer one location and/or atmosphere?

1 Like

Pitt is in a large urban setting; VA Tech is in a much smaller city. VA Tech has a prettier campus, IMO; but there is more going on off campus with Pitt.

Have you visited either campus?

2 Likes

Va Tech is much bigger - and it’s environment is very different - city vs. suburban.

Va Tech is gorgeous - nicest campus in America in my opinion and top rated food - but Pitt has tons and tons of fans.

Pitt is accredited in Bio, Chem, Civil, Computer, Electrical, Engineering Science, Environmental, Industrial, Materials, Mechanical.

Tech has aero, construction, mining, and Ocean too.

Pitt has 2650 students in engineering Va Tech has nearly four times as many students.

Lots of considerations including cost.

Both are great names although Tech wider known - which in most cases, means zero, zilch, and nothing.

Not a bad choice. Just a better choice for you depending on what is important to you.

Obviously, if having to fly, Pitt will be easier to access.

Best of luck.

1 Like

Thanks. I visited Virginia tech campus and loved it but found the access from airport a challenge and the small airport nearby and have applied. I got accepted into Pitt engineering school.

If you liked Va Tech but found the airport difficult - you might add Penn State which doesn’t have a large airport nearby but has a small one with flights to Philly, Newark and Chicago. To me, it’s a “similar” type school.

There is a bus to Roanoke from Virginia Tech - the Roanoke airport has a lot more flights and for the few times you need it, you can take an uber or someone may even offer a ride.

If you love Va Tech, I wouldn’t let the getting there be the reason why you don’t attend.

If you love Va Tech for its environment, then you might not love Pitt…

2 Likes

If you haven’t visited Pitt, then you might consider doing so – if you are able – in order to compare the two campuses/environments.