Visit next week

<p>My DS and husband are heading down to UA for a visit next Monday. They’re touring, doing the dorm thing, visiting Honors College and meeting with a CS professor. My DH wants to know whether he should accompany DS on all of the visits - or let him do some (Dr. Sharpe & prof. ) by himself.</p>

<p>Also checking threads on dress code. I presume that cargo shorts are OK since it’s supposed to be 89 - with a polo and clean tennis shoes (he doesn’t own Sperrys!).</p>

<p>TIA. Looking forward to seeing how UA treats a potential Presidential boy. Sounds like they’re rolling out the red carpet.</p>

<p>The outfit is great. </p>

<p>You can accompany your S if you want to. I was there for my D’s visit. You can walk around from appt to appt and just sit outside of the office or go in and ask questions. The folks are used to it either way.</p>

<p>Are you going to be there Aug 12 or 19? School doesn’t start until Aug 21st but there will be plenty of folks around. Do try and talk to the students in the various eating places if you have time. Good luck with your visit!!</p>

<p>My W and D did a similar tour and the W went with D for all the stops. The HC recruiters do an excellent job putting the day together, but they do not shuttle you from person to person. IOW, when it was time to go from meeting with Dr. Sharpe to meeting with Blount rep, my W and D were just sorta pointed in the right direction. Since My D has trouble navigating her way down our driveway, I’m glad my W accompanied her…Lol. My W was sensitive to my D’s request that she be seen and not heard. My D very much wanted to do the talking and take charge.</p>

<p>Does your S know his GPA and test scores? I ask because you say “potential” prez boy?? </p>

<p>UA definetly rolled out the crimson carpet. They will be impressed.</p>

<p>On another note. My D received a hand-written post card from the UA HC Dean Emeritus from Oxford University today thanking her for taking HC tour!</p>

<p>Thanks for the info. They’ll be there the 12th. Driving down from Fairfax, VA so that DS can understand the “real distance”.</p>

<p>DS has 3.63 GPA and 35 ACT and is a rising senior. Potential refers to the fact that he doesn’t yet know where he wants to go - not that Bama isn’t an option. VA is blessed with lots of good in-state options (although very competitive), but with DS being the first of 4 to go in the next few years…scholarship $$ are nice!</p>

<p>I’m interested in hearing what he thinks. He was at James Madison and Virginia Tech the past couple of days.</p>

<p>Welcome! W.T.Woodson grad here, although I don’t live in Virginia anymore. Sob. Anyway, lucky for your son, he will be visiting along with @2000 beautiful young women doing sorority rush. If that doesn’t seal the deal …</p>

<p>Norfolk native here, and DH and I are both UVa grads. Can’t wait to hear how your visit goes. We live at the OBX VAmomof4. Has he visited UVA?</p>

<p>Lots of OOS state kids attending and a pretty good contingent from NOVA. The distance is real, but my son decided to deal with it. Run the numbers on everything. Fraternity costs can be significant, housing is not cheap freshman year (but not really cheap anywhere), must attend Bama Bound in summer (so plan on at least one more trip down). If he is remotely interested, pay close attention the housing timeline and get application in early. The sooner he gets his name in the hopper, the easier it is to get choice of housing, meet potential roommates, etc.<br>
I encourage him to apply. It is a good school, and is a “rolling admissions” process. He will have a decision early in the process if he gets his stuff in early. Unlike UVA, Tech, etc that make kids wait until late Spring.</p>

<p>Thanks for the housing advise. I’ll make sure he pays attention to that. I presume the Honors college folks will talk to him about that too. He has already applied - although can’t send transcript until school starts in Sept. (He’s a Chantilly HS boy). Definitely not a frat. kind of boy so don’t need to worry about that cost. He’s more concerned about whether there’s a card store and a group that plays “Magic the Gathering”…</p>

<p>No interest in UVA from him. Not sure why. He’s visited VCU, CNU, U of Richmond, ODU, GMU (where I work), JMU and VT - but not UVA. I think it has a certain “uber-preppy” reputation that doesn’t appeal. We’ll probably get down there anyways.</p>

<p>I can tell you that there is a club on campus that hosts “Magic the Gathering”. It is called ABXY. There is also a game store, Crimson Castle, that sells the cards and has tournaments. My daughter is very active with the club so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.</p>