Visiting Bama

<p>I have applied to Alabama and have the stats for the Honors College and an OOS scholarship. I am planning on visiting Alabama sometime in late January. I have read about e-mailing someone and they set up your day meeting faculty, touring dorms, touring your specific major’s facilities, ect. I am wondering if by visiting on a Saturday, instead of a day college is in session, if I will not have the same opportunity to meet department faculty, or can you do the same things if you visit on a Saturday as you can on any other day (sans, I would expect, Sunday). Thanks !</p>

<p>Like most universities, UA is much quieter on Saturday than it is during the week. Most, if not all, UA faculty do not work on Saturday and if they are on campus, would not be meeting with prospective students. Many prospective students and their parents have a tendency to expect a lot of students to be out and about at 10am on a Saturday, which is not the case as students are catching up on sleep. Friday has issues of many students not having classes and leaving for the weekend, but is preferable to visiting on Saturday. IMHO, Tuesday is the best day to visit, though that won’t work for most OOS students due to scheduling issues and travel time.</p>

<p>*I am wondering if by visiting on a Saturday, instead of a day college is in session, if I will not have the same opportunity to meet department faculty, *</p>

<p>Dept faculty are not likely available to meet with on the weekends.</p>

<p>*Many prospective students and their parents have a tendency to expect a lot of students to be out and about at 10am on a Saturday, which is not the case as students are catching up on sleep. *</p>

<p>Exactly…kids are sleeping or wandering around the city or working a part-time job or studying in their dorms.<br>
I don’t recommend visiting on weekends.</p>

<p>It’s better to arrive late Thursday and tour on Friday…or arrive on Sunday, tour on Monday and then go home in the early evening.</p>

<p>Here’s what you were referring to:
set up a campus tour time online… try for the early morning one
[Campus</a> Visits - Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://gobama.ua.edu/visits/]Campus”>Visit)</p>

<p>send an email to Allison Verhine in the Honors College </p>

<p>In the email, include:</p>

<p>tour time and date
student name & contact info
test scores and GPA
(if a likely NMF, indicate so)
intended major
professional interests (pre-med, pre-law, pre-dental, etc)
interest in Computer Based Honors program and/or University Fellows Program (if desired)
Also, include any thing else that interests you about the school…such as touring the new Science and Engineering Complex and Shelby Hall. </p>

<p>Allison will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with dept heads, honors faculty, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Allison Verhine - Honor College Recruitment Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>