Visiting bama?

<p>Would it be better for an admitted student to visit for a regular campus tour or a university day? And about how long would it take to drive from Florida (Tampa area) to Alabama? </p>

<p>Thanks in advance! :)</p>

<p>Either would be a great time to visit. There will be more prospective students on campus during university days, but there are also specific events taking place on university days. Either way, you will still be able to tour campus (residence halls included), meet with deans/professors, and sit in on a class if that’s what you would like to do.</p>

<p>Google shows the drive from Tampa to UA as being around 10 hours, not including stops.</p>

<p>Yes…it would be about a 10 hour drive.</p>

<p>I would recommend a regular campus visit. UDays is better for students who’ve toured on another day. If you can tour on one day and do UDay the next, then that would be fine. UDays don’t usually include campus tours. </p>

<p>However, if this is your only day to visit, then do a campus tour on a regular day. [Campus</a> Visits - Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://gobama.ua.edu/visits/]Campus”>Visit)</p>

<p>Once you have reserved your campus tour time, send an email to Jami Gates in the Honors College. Tell her your tour time and date. Tell her about your stats and intended major. </p>

<p>Ask to meet with Dr. Sharpe to talk about the Computer-Based Honors Program (this is a research program - not a computer science program). If you’re also interested in University Fellows Experience, ask to meet with Dr. Morgan as well. Bring a copy of resume to leave with both. Dr. Shane Sharpe is the Dean of the honors college (super nice) and also the Director of CBHP. Dr. Jacqueline Morgan is the asst Dean who is also the Director of UFE…also very nice.</p>

<p>If you have a science or engineering interest, ask for a tour of the Shelby Building and the Science and Engineering Complex. </p>

<p>If you have a biology interest, see if you can meet with Dr. Guy Caldwell or his wife, Dr. Kim Caldwell. Working in the Caldwell Lab is an honor. [Home</a> | The Caldwell Lab](<a href=“http://bama.ua.edu/~gcaldwel/#]Home”>http://bama.ua.edu/~gcaldwel/#)</p>

<p>Jami will set up appt with dept heads, tours of honors and honors housing, and meetings with honors faculty. If desired, she can also arrange for you to sit in some classes.</p>

<p>jami gates 205-348-5599 <a href=“mailto:jami.n.gates@ua.edu”>jami.n.gates@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Hi all… been lurking on this site since my son first heard of the excellent NHSF and NHF packages that Alabama offers last week. What a great group of people here! Really enjoy reading all the posts and have learned a lot. </p>

<p>A week of thinking later and he has decided to apply. I think Alabama is now at the top of his list and I would like to get him down there for a visit. We have to work around airfare costs and schedules at home and I am guessing it would be best for him to go down when classes are in session. Taking all that into account the best dates for us for a day on campus are Tues, Nov 16 and Thurs, Dec 2. Both dates have openings for the campus tour. Does anyone have any thoughts if one day might be better then the other?</p>

<p>Thanks!!</p>

<p>Hello again. Just to clarify. S is a National Merit Semi-Finalist. :)</p>

<p>Thanks!!</p>

<p>^^^Well then, cruisefan, there’s really nothing left to decide is there? (Just kidding :slight_smile: )</p>

<p>Congratulations!! The Top Scholars package awarded to National Merit Finalists is unbelievable. I hope you enjoy your visit to Bama and find UA to be all you’ve been led to believe it is on this forum. We certainly did.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>You know… I don’t think there is much left to decide for mom and dad (that’s me). The more we learn about Bama the more we think it would be a great fit for S. </p>

<p>He’s impressed with a lot of things about the school too but it’s his top or close to top choice now mainly because of the Merit Finalist offer and I think a visit would make UA a solid number one on his list.</p>

<p>The National Merit Finalist offer reeled us in as well. Much to our surprise and delight it turned out to be the cherry on the sundae. </p>

<p>How’s that for a mixed metaphor?</p>

<p>What is your son’s intended major?</p>

<p>I would recommend visiting on November 16th since December 2nd is during Dead Week (the week before finals). UA is playing Georgia State on Thursday, November 18th and ticket prices should be quite reasonable if you decided to stay for the game. Even if y’all aren’t football fans, I would highly suggest that you stay and attend a UA football game.</p>

<p>As m2ck posted, once you decide on a date, schedule a campus tour and e-mail Jami Gates at the Honors College about setting up the rest of your campus visit. </p>

<p>Welcome to the UA forum and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>He wants to major in journalism. Mizzo is probably the top school on his list still because of their journalism program but Alabama’s looks really good too and as he said to me the other night “If Missiouri isn’t going to pay for me to go there and Alabama is then I want to go to Alabama”.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info on finals. Looks like I should focus on November then. We would both LOVE to stay for a game but we have to be back in town by the 18th. :(</p>

<p>New question. Just read a thread about Capstone Scholars Day… I"m still leaning toward November but should I wait and plan a trip down around Scholars Day instead?</p>

<p>In the past, CSDay didn’t include a **full **campus tour - which was a problem for those who had never been on campus before. </p>

<p>I’ve heard rumblings that maybe Bama will include tours that day at some point…but I haven’t heard anything firm.</p>

<p>I just sent an email asking this question.</p>

<p>another problem with visiting on CSDay is that only 1 parent is allowed to come because of space restrictions. That can be an issue for OOS families where both parents want to come. If that is the case, then coming on another day is likely better.</p>

<p>I think Mondays are a good day to tour.</p>