Visiting campus in August

<p>My DS now has UA on his list (he’s a rising senior). It looks like there are a lot of activities at UA in August - WOW, move-in’s etc. He’s currently qualified for OOS tuition scholarship (3.63/35 ACT etc.) so wants to visit Honors College, Engineering/CS school etc. He sent a note to Honors College to try to schedule a visit - but I’m curious whether he should avoid visiting in August - and go after school has started, or what the situation will be.</p>

<p>Input is appreciated!</p>

<p>I would think going when the campus is active is MUCH BETTER than visiting during a break or during summer school.</p>

<p>A vibrant campus is a big part of the BAMA experience.</p>

<p>Give me suggestions pls which university is the most affordable in California for international student ? Which is the cheapest one ?</p>

<p>I don’t know that I would try to go during the craziness of move-in and Week of Welcome if I could avoid it, but I’m sure after that would be fine. My son just did the same visit about 2 weeks ago, and it was amazing. He has an older sister at Alabama, so he has seen the campus at many busy times. There is something called E Day scheduled on Thursday, October 3rd. He would certainly want to have his application submitted before then, but E Day is specifically targeted at potential Engineering and Computer Science kids as a broad exposure to the programs and opportunities available. Perhaps you could combine it with an Honors College visit the next day? We are definitely planning on returning, although we’re much closer (in Atlanta). There is information about E Day on the College of Engineering’s website.</p>

<p>You might not get a hotel room during move-in times, home football games, or Parents weekend. </p>

<p>What date does your S return to high school? When do you want to visit?</p>

<p>It’s probably better if you can visit while Bama is in session. But if you can’t, you can’t. Our first visit was D1’s junior year the day before Thanksgiving. There wasn’t any one on campus. (It must not have been our turn to host the Iron Bowl!!) She still loved it and so do I. </p>

<p>Your S will be invited to Capstone Scholar’s Day in January. It’s for presidential and NMF scholarship recipients and maybe others. </p>

<p>Congratulations on qualifying for the Presidential scholarship!! Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Give me suggestions pls which university is the most affordable in California for international student ? Which is the cheapest one ?</p>

<p>You need to post in the College Selection forum. This forum is for The University of Alabama.</p>

<p>That said, there aren’t any “cheap” univs in Calif. The cheapest would be one of the CSU’s…about $30k per year for an international student.</p>

<p>VAmom…</p>

<p>what dates are you considering?</p>

<p>You’ll want to avoid Move in dates and home game football weekends because hotel prices will be INSANE.</p>

<p>Did you contact these ladies in Honors? You will need to give them visiting dates so they can schedule, but FIRST set up a campus tour. Give that info (date and time) to Allison and Susan so they can schedule around it. Don’t bother with the “info session”. You can get that info here, and use that time for other things that Allison and Susan will schedule.</p>

<p>Vamom, we visited on the second day of classes last year and it was perfect! We got to experience the campus with everyone there, but didn’t have to take time off from school. We did not try to visit a class since they were just getting going. Allison and Susan were wonderful! My DD is a rising senior too and is fully committed to Bama. We are just waiting for her to be accepted and the scholarship requirements to come out. Where do you live in Va? We are on the Outer Banks and used to live in Norfolk.</p>

<p>Thanks for all of the advice. We’re in No. VA (Fairfax/Chantilly). DS had several dates in mind around 12th of August. It’s tough to get off once school starts (although we don’t start until after Labor Day). He’s CFO of the FIRST Robotics team - so life gets busy very quickly. We’re also thinking about driving down - just so he can appreciate the actual distance and know that he can’t just “pop home”.</p>

<p>Of course…I’m coming to the realization that we’ll probably be disowned by my Notre Dame alumni family…although I did marry a USC alum! DS didn’t think he wanted a “big school” - was more attracted to Christopher Newport in VA than to George Mason. However, the Honors College and the idea of a spiffy Engineering/CS facility (and free OOS tuition) is pretty tempting. He sent an email to the Honors college contact (not sure of the name) - so we’ll see what they say too.</p>

<p>VAmom, my D did not want a large school at all. She actually was really wanting Pepperdine. Till we visited both schools. Night and day difference, duh! She found UA to be big but not too big. To her she said it does not feel “big”. When we visited Pepperdine they were in session and it was a weekday, no holiday. That place was D-E-A-D! Too quiet overall. </p>

<p>If you can wait and go just after UA classes start and after all of the move-in, I would. Not sure you could even get a hotel w/in 20 miles of town during that time.</p>