Visiting - How to plan

My daughter & I are planning to visit Texas A&M in late March from the east coast. She is a National Merit Finalist who is already admitted into the engineering program. Since this will probably be our only visit before she makes a decision in April we would like to get the most out of it. She has already scheduled a meeting with her engineering contact, a campus tour and an information session. Is there anyway to sit in on a class or stay overnight in a dorm? Anything else we should do? We will be spending a couple of extra days in the area. Are there any good hiking / outdoor areas near the campus? Thanks.

Contact Katelin C Clark at kati.clark@tamu.edu. 979.458.0954. She coordinated our visit from Arizona with our NMF son after he had been accepted. Kati did a great job!. Our son is now a TAMU sophomore studying Aerospace Engineering.

Send me an message if you have any questions about what it’s like at TAMU for a high-achieving OOS student.

Good question. My NMF son and I will be visiting from Michigan. He is accepted to Engineering and would be eligible for the NMF scholarship package. We are comparing to Michigan in state. Other than the National Scholars day activities, what would be some suggestions. We will be there one day early.

They do have dorm tours, but other than the corps of cadets (spend a night program) I don’t think there are overnights. The campus is very large, you’ll be walking quite a bit. Things to do here include the Bush Presidential Library on campus, Northgate during the day has some unique restaurants (Dixie chicken is a classic & Blackwater Draw is really good), there is also the Hullabaloo Restaurant further off campus which was on diners and dives. If it is open the Blue Bell Creamery isn’t too far away- it makes ice cream. Medina Hof Winery is near too. Lonestar trapeze Academy is in Bryan if you want to learn to do that. There is also a rec center - not sure of the access policy.

Check the schedule to see if there is a baseball game or basketball game or some other activity going on - a great way to see the students in action. The campus tour takes quite some time but is well worth it to get a good taster of what Aggieland has to offer. They are all a little different depending on your group & your guide. The movie you can watch while you wait for the tour is pretty good too. If you get a chance to tour the football stadium it is amazing, there are various statues around the outside edges too. The alumni center has some exhibits upstairs that are interesting for a quick look (it has a big ring in front). If you’re lucky someone will be playing the piano in the MSC flag room, there is also an exhibit of medal of honor winners from TAMU in the MSC (if you are wearing a hat - you must take it off to enter the MSC & don’t step on the grass). This is a school that you fall in love more with the students & traditions than anything else. Keep your eyes out for the collie mascot, Reveille she goes to classes with her handler. Walk through the Corps of Cadets area just to experience it - whether or not it is something you’re interested in. There is a fake sledding hill - Mt. Aggie - on campus too. Good for a chuckle if it happens to be open -keep you expectations in check, this is Texas :slight_smile:

We toured many schools between two kids - I think about 15, this was one of my favorites - mostly because the students were so nice & polite here and just looked happy. One prominent school we toured, the students looked miserable & totally stressed out. No matter how bubbly the tour guide was, the atmosphere was not welcoming. Talk to a few students - that’s what we did at every school. Enjoy your trip!

As for hiking in the area, you might want to check out Lick Creek Park or Wolf Pen Creek Park (which also has a small amphitheater next to a lake). We live in Houston and when I go visit my son I always like to try to find something new to do or see. Last visit I found an excellent restaurant in downtown Bryan called Madden’s http://pmaddens.com. And for great burgers you might try Grub Burger Bar (about 5 min from TAMU).

If your trip falls between March 7 and April 3 Texas A&M will host “First Folio! The Book that Gave us Shakespeare” in the J Wayne Stark Gallery in the Memorial Student Center (in the middle of campus). This is the only Texas stop for the folio as it tours the US. Looks like there are also lectures and performances to go along with this.

http://lonestarfolio.tamu.edu/calendar/first-folio-the-book-that-gave-us-shakespeare/

Might be an interesting contrast to the Dixie Chicken!

@MIBadger @cricutfarmer Although you are asking about your visit you may want to ask about three items that you may need to take care of before your NSC (New Student Conference). This is, of course, only if you decide to attend TAMU. Since you are from out of state I hope this might help you both.

Fish Camp The best way to make a great connection with fellow students and the school. You won’t need to sign up the first day registration opens however some of the seven camps will fill in a matter of days.

http://fishcamp.tamu.edu/node/72

If they apply to you ask about parking and sports passes. Also two things you can do before your NSC typically sometime in May.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It looks like we are attending a baseball game on Friday night. I will look into a stadium tour for Thursday. I will have him send an email to Kati Clark this weekend to see if there are any other tours/experiences that she would suggest for the day before the National Scholar Experience on 3/25.

Check out the Emerging Technologies building and do some research on the Zachry Engineering Center. Also speak to an advisor in the major of choice. Look at the MSC and Kyle Field

Thanks for the replies. Son is a sports fan so we will definitely do a Kyle tour. I will check out the other suggestions for possible tours.

Not a republican nor a Bush family fan, but the presidential library was very interesting and well done.