Visiting Madison

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>So my daughter has finally decided that she will attend UW (after getting the skinny envelope from Northwestern; she had her heart set on going there).
:(</p>

<p>OK so she is not all that excited about attending UW. But this is the best University on her list of acceptances. She has sent in the application for the honors program. We are waiting to hear from them.</p>

<p>I am planning a day trip with her to Madison next month to get her a little bit excited about being a Badger. Any suggestions on where to go, what to do? We do not know anyone there. Maybe we will walk the campus and down State Street and even check out the private dorms. </p>

<p>Wiscydad</p>

<p>What happened to NYU?</p>

<p>MADISON IS SO MUCH FUN!!! Definitley take her to State Street, the Student Union(s), just walk around campus at a high traffic time of students is a good example of the energy there.</p>

<p>Madison in Spring is one of the most beautiful cities in the whole US. There's a lakeside trail or path from the Union to the Eagle heights (to the West). It's incredibly beautiful. Go sit in any of lakeside room in the Union and catch the sunset.</p>

<p>We thought Madison would be a better fit for our daughter. We were a bit worried about sending her to NYU because of the big city and security concerns and also the distractions there. I lived in Wisconsin though I did not go to UW (Go Blue!!). My son who is 2 years younger will probably play football for Wisconsin. So it will work out well for us. We live in Illinois so UW is a lot closer and we can visit her often and she can come home whenever she wishes. Interestingly, she never applied to Michigan or Illinois (in-state).</p>

<p>I am also visiting Wisconsin in 2 weeks, and not quite sure what to do except walk around campus and stuff. Haven't heard from Michigan yet but it sounds like I will be a badger soon.</p>

<p>There's tons to do....State street has tons of shops and places to eat, the capital area is gorgeous, Memorial union is on the lake...you could rent some boats and relax.....it's a great place</p>

<p>Your son is going to play football for Wisconsin? That's amazing. She will be pretty cool on campus being related to a football player and all :)</p>

<ol>
<li>What are her interests?</li>
<li>What is her intended major? <em>edit</em></li>
<li>Watch out, the private dorms can be somewhat of a culture shock but others love them.</li>
<li>What type of food does she like (i'm not kidding, I'll recommend a place)</li>
</ol>

<p>As that she is an intended econ major... maybe you should also schedule a time to meet with someone in the department, maybe sit in a class. Take her to the capitol dome. Walk down state street as it starts to get dark, maybe after dinner, if it is nicer out the walk up to the capitol is amazing.</p>

<p>your son is a sophomore and you are pretty sure he will be playing for Wisconsin already?? Good luck, it would be amazing to play for wisconisn.</p>

<p>What major(s) is she planning on taking? See if you can set up an advisor meeting with someone.
For a day trip, I'd recommend starting at Memorial Union, walk around Bascom Hill to Union South and Camp Randall, then down Dayton to the SouthEast dorms, Kohl Center, and SERF (gym) - actually, reverse that order, after Memorial Union you're right next to State Street.</p>

<p>And don't be ashamed of asking where buildings are, most students enjoy bragging about how much of campus they know.</p>

<p>Heh that's similar to my situation. I live in Illinois, got rejected from my first choice school(Penn), didn't apply to UofI and chose Madison over NYU. </p>

<p>I visited Madison and I loved it. The campus truly is beatiful- consider doing a walking tour of the campus.</p>

<p>I dunno that I would have chosen Madison over NYU. I don't think I could resist NYC....I love that city, even though Im from boston.</p>

<p>Transfer is right: what specifically does she like to do? There is something in town for everyone, so if you could list a few things that she likes someone on here could probably tell you where to go.</p>

<p>guapocarlos -- ive met a few out of state kids who made that UW over NYU choice. Outside Stern, if you want a more traditional college expierence, NYU would be bad news.</p>

<p>Btw, best place on state street: Kabul.</p>

<p>I suggest that you first take a driving tour of the campus. Start at the East end of Langdon street (Wisconsin and Langdon-about even with the State Capitol) and drive towards the campus on Langdon. You will pass the fraternities and private housing. As you get to the campus you will see the Library, the library mall and the State Historical society on your left and Lake Mendota and the Student Union on your right. Langdon ends at Park Street, which runs perpendicular to Bascom Hill. Make a right towards the lake and a quick left up the winding road past the Helen C. White library and you will travel up the hill into the main campus. You will pass dorms on the right and various schools on your left. If you stay to the right you will hit observatory hill, with a planetarium on the left and a beautiful view of Lake Mendota. As you descend down the drive you will see the lake shore dorms on your right, playing fields, a garden and the nat (athletic facility for the Lake Shore dorms). If you cut to the left one block you should be at Babcock Hall, where they make the finest ice cream you will ever taste, so stop in at the store and have a cone or a sundae. (The vitamin D additive for milk was developed by researchers at the UW ag school and that patent funded a lot of the ag department years ago) If you continue west you will pass the vet school and eventually reach the medical school and the University Hospitals. The funny looking octagonal building to the right is the Nielson tennis facility with indoor tennis courts for students (yes, funded by the ratings guy) Once you get to the Medical school you should turn left or south a few blocks to campus drive and head back east on campus drive which turns into Johnson street. You will pass various newer buildings and eventually get back to Park street. The corner of Park and Johnson is the start of the South East Dorms (Selery, Ogg and Witte), the SERF center (South East Recreational facility). There is a lot of new building going on to the South of the dorms. Stay on Johnson to Francis and there is restaurant on the corner, Marsh Shapiro's Nitty Gritty, a lot of nostalgia, so order a burger etc. Then walk a block south and take a look at the Kohl Center where the Badger hockey and basketball teams play. We have not touched upon State street, the Capitol, Camp Randle Stadium or just the great college atmosphere. Northwestern should be a distant memory by the time your tour is concluded.</p>