Visiting UA in April, trying to decide UA vs USC or Clemson (any advice?)

<p>Awesome, JCooch. Here’s a link to my son’s short film, Wieder 'Zam, which won Best Picture at the UA Campus MovieFest a few weeks ago. It will compete nationally at Campus MovieFest Hollywood in June, and Bama is sponsoring his and his crew’s attendance there. The young actors in the film are UA students. <a href=“http://vimeo.com/85224093”>http://vimeo.com/85224093&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Also, here’s a link to his latest project, which he and fellow UA undergraduates are producing in collaboration with a UA alum, for submission to a separate film competition at Genero.TV: <a href=“Help UA students & alumni create the music video for Speak a Little Louder! | Indiegogo”>http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-ua-students-alumni-create-the-music-video-for-speak-a-little-louder&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>If you’d like me to put you in touch with him to discuss the TCF program, opportunities in film at Bama, or anything else, feel free to PM me. I know he’d be happy to chat with you (and he’s very friendly). :)</p>

<p>@Malanai. And I thought NH was a long way from Tuscaloosa! Hawaii?!?! Wow! I just watched the first short feature and damn near had a tear in my eye! Fantastic!</p>

<p>Thank you, JCooch. We’re all so very proud of what those kids pulled off. And that’s what awaits you in Tuscaloosa. :)</p>

<p>Hi all</p>

<p>Thanks for the tips! We’re getting psyched for the trip next month!</p>

<p>Malanai: my son loved your story of your meeting with the president - how did you arrange that meeting </p>

<p>nhdavid, we arranged for the Honors College tour and UA just stuck the meeting with the President on our schedule. Frankly, we were flabbergasted (and flattered). We had no idea that was on the schedule until the morning of our visit.</p>

<p>nhdavid, if your son is still interested in sports management, Bama Men’s Basketball are looking for student managers for the upcoming year.
Previous managers have interned at Jordan Brands, have become Graduate Assistants, have become assistant coaches in Europe, and have received recommendations for positions in basketball.
Sports positions relies heavily on connections and Alabama has many connections…</p>

<p>Here’s another vote for the Hampton Inn on Harper Lee. I stayed there more times than I care to count during my daughter’s senior year of high school, when we were going down for campus visits, high school band trips, honor band. I think in one two-week period I was there for 6 nights out of the 14. </p>

<p>I haven’t really had much need for overnight visits since Abby’s been a student at UA since we live fairly close.</p>

<p>Regarding the sport management program, it looks like UA has a strong graduate program, but what do undergrads typically study? Looks like they have something in the kinesiology dept, but that seems more along the lines of teaching/coaching, as opposed to business and sport mgmt - I guess we will have to arrange to talk with people from the departments when we come</p>

<p>Thanks all, for the tips and hotel recommendations - keep them coming, can never have too much info :)</p>

<p>Ask the Honors College (perhaps Dean Sharpe) about creating a hybrid major that will best serve the needs of a budding sports management undergraduate. The ability of honors students to design flexible, unique curricula was one of Dean Sharpe’s selling points to us when we visited in 2010.</p>

<p>@nhdavid, I don’t have near the experience of most posters here, but we stayed at the Capstone for our visit a couple years ago and have booked to stay there again for an upcoming visit, round 2 of the college selection process. </p>

<p>I liked it as it was basically on campus. For this trip we will be flying in and taking the shuttle so staying here will eliminate the need for a rental car, however that will also prevent a visit to Deamland.</p>

<p>nhdavid be sure to post on here what you think after your visit and what your experience on UA campus has been. Also what your experience was in comparison to what you learned before-hand. And most important, did the visit sell you and your student on coming to Bama? If you got the follow through with seeing exactly what your student is looking for. We are very excited about the Honors College opportunities.</p>