Visiting UA on Monday

<p>Thanks to the many folks on CC who post about how much they and their kids love Bama, we will be there on Monday! Meeting first with Allison in the Honors College and have a full day planned. Any last words of advice? We are getting in late the night before and are driving to New Orleans late Monday night. It is going to be a busy day! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Where are you staying? Do you want restaurant advice? Allison and Susan will have your Bama time booked up.</p>

<p>NYMom3Kids…Take your family to Dreamland BBQ after the visit…it’s the cherry on the cake after the Honors visit. </p>

<p>I hope your trip to New Orleans isn’t to visit that “other” school. No one looks good in purple, not even Barney the Dinosaur…lol</p>

<p>Hahaha! Yes, we are visiting Tulane. Don’t think it has enough majors for my undecided D but want her to see different types of schools. She wants rah rah so purple probably won’t appeal. We are staying at the Capstone. We have a full days schedule with several meetings. D and S1 will see different programs try are interested in. Dreamland BBQ sound yummy! Lol</p>

<p>We loved the Capstone and have been lucky enough to stay there for all our visits including orientation, move-in and the upcoming Parents weekend. Its a very short walk to the campus, literally 2-3 long blocks. Your better off leaving your car there and walking over to your visit. Make sure you don’t miss the Crimson ride portion of the tour. The Capstone ladies who conduct the tour are so knowledgeable about the school and campus and you’ll get to really see the whole campus including many of the amazing new buildings going up around campus.</p>

<p>What time will you be arriving on Sunday?</p>

<p>I think NYBama meant LSU, it’s in Baton Rouge, not NOLA. Tulane’s color is Green.</p>

<p>Thank you. We land in Birmingham around 9pm or so, not leaving time to do anything that night but drive to Tuscaloosa and check in. :/</p>

<p>Lol! Haven’t been researching school colors! Thanks for the heads up. :)</p>

<p>^^^^m2ck, I did mean LSU, I’m still learning my southern geography…lol</p>

<p>NYMom3Kids,
I sent you a PM about the flight.</p>

<p>You are going to be busy, but if you can, spend some time just wandering the quad, Engineering quad (if student is considering that major), the Strip, and dorm and dining areas. Wander in and out of academic buildings. Sometimes the quiet and less structured times give a truer picture of what your student’s life would be like at UA. And, of course, enjoy the adventure of college visits! Good luck!</p>

<p>Hi NYM! We just drove from Tuscaloosa to NOLA last week. It was an easy drive. I hope you get to do a little sightseeing in NOLA. It’s such an amazing place. Are you flying home from there or going back to B’ham? </p>

<p>If you go to Dreamland, you may want to make sure it is the Northport location. It’s closer to campus and has a much broader menu (including chicken and salads) than the “original” in Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>Hope you guys enjoy your visit!</p>

<p>I would suggest that after you get checked into the hotel that you take a drive around campus at night. The campus is very, very pretty and well lit at night. I think the buildings look especially beautiful then. Of course, you could walk around, but you will see more and get a better general overview by driving. I know you may be tired, but if you are leaving campus on Monday before it gets dark then you would miss this opportunity. Also, you could stop by Dunkin Donuts for a late night snack and beverage, it is open till 2AM. It is located at the Lakeside Dining Hall. Your son and daughter may even have a chance to meet some students and ask questions. You will be amazed at how friendly everyone is.</p>

<p>My personal preference is FullMoon BBQ instead of Dreamland, it is a newer location and has tons of football memorabilia (think sweeter sauce). It is also very close to the Midtown Village shopping center, which will give you an idea of the variety of shops and restaurants in Tuscaloosa. You will also see the newest apartment complexes that are being built for students who want to live off-campus near there.</p>

<p>The Capstone is a short walk to Nott Hall where you will meet Allison and you can leave your car parked at the hotel with no problem. In my experience, there are usually no parking spaces available at Nott Hall. </p>

<p>The Capstone does not have room service and the restaurant/bar closes very early. As a matter of fact, we find that all the restaurants close early (in Tuscaloosa) compared to what we are used to. If you are hungry, grab a bite to eat at DD or Lakeside Dining, you don’t have to be a student to eat there.</p>

<p>Have a great visit and come back to let us know how it went!!</p>

<p>^^ I prefer Full Moon for BBQ, too, though you can’t beat Dreamland for the banana pudding!</p>

<p>Full Moon (brisket and onion rings!).</p>

<p>Full Moon? Nah, Dreamland, original location. When in Rome . . . :)</p>

<p>“Also, you could stop by Dunkin Donuts for a late night snack and beverage, it is open till 2AM.”</p>

<p>Dunkin Donuts with Krispy Kreme so near campus and such an icon on McFarland? That’s just wrong, Robotbidmom. I’m just kidding. Stopping in Lakeside isn’t a bad idea, just wait on the doughnuts until you see the “Hot” sign at Krispy Kreme! :)</p>

<p>BBQ and doughnuts really depend on your regional experiences. Dreamland & Krispy Kreme…yum!</p>

<p>Well, I like Krispy, but I didn’t know what time that was open till. Also, us NE’ers love DD. The tri-state OOS students jumped for joy at Dunkin’s opening (that’s NY/NJ/CT). Plus, they might get to talk to some students, who knows? However, if I have to vote for the best coffee and donuts, it would be Cafe Du Monde’s cafe au lait and beignets. :slight_smile: Simply the very best ever!!</p>

<p>^ The HOT sign in Tuscaloosa does NOT mean a free doughnut (as it does in other locations). They are still as good.</p>

<p>robotmom, when D and I visited schools up in the NE, we noticed that DD was to that area what Starbucks seems to be in DFW. We have DD’s here but not nearly as plentiful as Starbucks. Anyway, hubs and I just tried Cafe Du Monde the other morning and it was very good.</p>