Visiting UA

I was recently accepted to UA and offered a $100,000 scholarship over four years. I am not 100% sure that I want to attend UA, so I definitely want to visit the campus. I was wondering if there are specific programs offered that are for admitted students? I am also planning to apply to the Honors College, and since I’m well above their average statistics, I’m kind of expecting an acceptance, so I was wondering if there are specific programs for prospective Honors students as well?

Also, does UA pay for flight/travel expenses for admitted students? Could I email my admissions counselor to request for travel compensations?

I was looking it up online, and Bama Bound was the only program I could find, and I’m pretty sure that it’s for students who have already accepted their offers of admission, so I can’t attend that program.

Any help is appreciated!

You should check into the Randall Research Scholars Program (formally called CBH). The kids in this program are exceptionally bright and motivated. It is competitive to get a spot in the program. There is the University Fellows Program and other programs as well. Good luck!

I don’t recall any special programs for admitted students. The Honors college can arrange a day for you (in conjunction with the normal campus visit itinerary) where they will do their best to connect you with the people/places you want to see.

I visited this past fall and I think everyone else on the tour is an admitted senior (my D19 is a junior).

I don’t know if they will pay for your flight or hotel. But they definitely had the best tour experience I’ve had so far. We’ve visited 7 colleges so far. The other 6 were pretty generic tours–here’s the buildings, you’ll get a lot of professor interaction, here’s what you need to apply. UA had that also.

But since I specified Honors college, the Honors college did an additional tour. An hour about the honors college, lunch with an honors student in your major, additional session with an honors college professor, talking about your specific desires in a school.

Plus, the honors dorm is really nice. UA shot from a “I guess I’ll apply there” school for D19 to her #1 choice now. $25k per year helps, of course. (It’s so funny when you read about other schools where a high ACT makes you eligible to apply for a competitive $9k scholarship, while UA flat out gives you $25k/year.)

Keep in mind, I think the honor college application deadline is this Friday

@annamom This Friday is the deadline for the UFE, Blount and Computer Based Learning but there is no deadline for the honors program.

Regardless of whether it’s the deadline, it’s an auto acceptance for OP, so he might as well apply. He has plenty of time to make his decision.

@gusmahler thanks so much for your response! how or who did you contact in the honors college to receive an additional tour?

@sona7662 just call the main number and they will connect you to someone that can assist you. We did that last year and had an amazing personalized tour.

@sona7662 Go to https://honors.ua.edu/schedule-a-visit/

Note the day of your regular campus visit and they’ll schedule the rest of the day for you.

<<
Also, does UA pay for flight/travel expenses for admitted students? Could I email my admissions counselor to request for travel compensations?

[QUOTE=""]

[/QUOTE]

Bama admits probably 15,000 students each year. There’s no way that they could pay for flight/travel expenses.

It didn’t work with my son’s schedule, so we had the HC arrange his visit (which was fabulous), but Capstone Scholars Day is the big prospective student event for HC students. It is by invitation only, but I think you can request to be invited if you’ve been admitted to the HC. The next one is on January 13, 2018: https://scholarships.ua.edu/csd/

There’s also University Days:

University Days events offer prospective students and their families the opportunity to experience a day on campus learning about life at the Capstone. Information on majors and minors, academic and student support services, admissions, scholarships and more will be provided through different outlets throughout the day.

This day-long event is an excellent opportunity to tour the campus, hear from advisors of various colleges, and connect with current students about their UA experiences. You may find new opportunities, like how to get involved in out 550+ student organizations, through our information fair, or learn more about fraternity and sorority life or education abroad during our afternoon interest sessions. Most importantly, you can see how The University of Alabama is a place where your dreams can come true.

Some of the topics covered at University Days include:

Admissions and Scholarships
College and School Choices
The Honors College
Academic and Student Support Services
Housing and Residential Communities
Student Involvement and Opportunities
Career Services
First Year Experience and Parent Programs
Early College

Spring 2018 Dates
Monday Feb. 5, 2018