VMI vs. VT? what is outstanding about VT?

<p>i was accepted to both Virginia Tech and the Virginia Military Institute for Fall 2008. if i go to VT, i'll do it as the corps of cadets. at both place, i would go Naval ROTC.</p>

<p>my top choice for a while has be VMI actually.</p>

<p>what is outstanding as VT? i'm look for info to sway my decision towards going to VMI.</p>

<p>by the way, i was accepted to VMI as a mech engineering student, but not to VT as an engineering student. is it possible to transfer into engineering once you are a student at VT?</p>

<p>i'll probably go to one of the sleep over with the VTCC events to check VT out.</p>

<p>(bw, i'm a girl, if that matters)</p>

<p>btw, i was also accepted to The Citadel, but if it comes down to VMI and The Citadel, i think i got to choose VMI.</p>

<p>so i'm just trying to compare/decide between VMI and VT here.</p>

<p>My guess is yea, it would be possible to transfer into engineering. I know someone who goes to Tech for E.Engineering, and he engineering is also called Pre-Business because people swap out, so my guess is those are spaces becoming open.</p>

<p>That, and the fact that Vtech is really known for Engineering would tell me they aren't gonna have like, 5 spots open for each engineering major.</p>

<p>You must really be into the military thing to go to VMI. If I remember correctly, you cannot have cellphones, tvs, etc., and you sleep in cots from like the 1800s. Atleast thats what one of my friends said.</p>

<p>i got in too as AFROTC cadet. i dont really know much about the program, but i definitely know that i wouldnt want to go through a VMI/Citadel experience for four years. i know a guy who went to the citadel and another from my school went to VMI. they obviously are run like the service academies, but both of them said that the hazing there is 10X worse.</p>

<p>but my feeling is that if you can go to a service academy, you can go to a VMI. at vmi, the hazing only really lasts until breakout, which is usually in january. so i terms of time, it's 3-4 months of hazing. only twice as long as the USNA hazing (plebe summer).</p>

<p>i think the program is awesome. the school is really small. and if you want a military career, it'll give you that. i'm just having some trouble deciding between my choices since they all seem to have their positive points, VT included.</p>

<p>kinda: your right about the cellphones, tvs, and cots. but i sleep on one during the overnight stay, and it was fine. comfy. you do get a mattress on your cot, so it's not exactly like sleeping on a wooden floor. lol. as for the TV, after breakout, you can watch dvds on your laptop, so what would i care about a TV? i'm not so into TV anyways. 1 more thing though- no cars until senior year.</p>

<p>by the way kinda, this was the video that really made me think about VMI:
YouTube</a> - VMI Recruiting Commercial</p>

<p>:)</p>