Voting Question

<p>My son is a Texas resident living in College Station. How can he vote in the Presidential election? Does he need to get an absentee ballot from our county? Or can he just vote at TAMU?</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure he has to request an absentee ballot, assuming that the address on his voter registration card is other than his A&M address. Both of my college sons just did this last week from their respective colleges. Just google something like ‘Such-and-Such County Ballots by Mail.’ If you don’t get any good search results for your county with that, try something like ‘Such-and-Such County Absentee Ballots.’ </p>

<p>Your county should have something on its website that tells you exactly what needs to be done. He may have to write a letter to request an absentee ballot, with specific information in the letter – like why he’s eligible to vote by absentee ballot, his current mailing address, basic biographical info, etc. Or your county may have a simple form that he can print and fill out to include the same kind of information.</p>

<p>I think that either way he’ll have to send his request to your county voting clerk by mail. The address should be on the webpage that you find in your google search. The deadline for doing this will most likely be around October 30th or 31st. But obviously, the sooner the better.</p>

<p>After he makes his written request, he should get his absentee ballot in the mail, and he’ll have to mail it back by a certain deadline.</p>

<p>Howdy AllThisIsNewToMe!</p>

<p>Your son can register to vote in College Station if he prefers, or he could vote by absentee ballot. I’m not certain what the deadline is to request an absentee ballot, but if he is not already registered to vote, I think he has until October 9, 2012 to do so.</p>

<p>Check out the information at the Brazos Election Commission site: [Frequently</a> Asked Questions | BrazosVotes | Brazos County, Texas](<a href=“http://www.brazosvotes.org/en/faq]Frequently”>http://www.brazosvotes.org/en/faq).</p>

<p>Best,</p>

<p>Jon Kotinek
Associate Director
Honors and Undergraduate Research</p>