VT Architecture?

<p>Okay so I was admitted to UVA's architecture school as well as VT's architecture too and I was too sick to go to Hokie Focus this past weekend so I was wondering if anyone who was accepted to architecture has anything to say about Tech's program? I guess like how much they focus on design and how their school focuses on different aspects of architecture. I know the basics of what they do because I've visited their website multiple times, but I couldn't go to the information session at Tech so I'm still visiting UVA's days on the lawn but I don't know about Tech! :( Any info would be appreciated, thanks!</p>

<p>Go Virginia Tech…seriously. I got admitted to Virginia Tech, Clemson, Georgia Tech, University of Texas-Austin, CalPoly San Luis Obispo, and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Virginia Tech is the best… I love the platform of creativity and individuality that is taught in the architecture program. They build you from the ground up and the opportunities to study abroad and acquire employment after your time at Virginia Tech. I am soo excited about next year. I would say that I am going there 100%, but I have to get the financial aid figured out ( I am out of state.) Good luck in your decision and I hope you join me in the VT Class of 2015.</p>

<p>[Architecture</a> ranks as nation’s best | Virginia Tech Home | Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://www.vt.edu/spotlight/achievement/2007-11-19_architecture/2007-11-19_architecture.html]Architecture”>http://www.vt.edu/spotlight/achievement/2007-11-19_architecture/2007-11-19_architecture.html)</p>

<p>I think that says a lot.</p>

<p>Both are quality programs, but I am sure you realize in one (VT) you will graduate with your 5 yr. BArch while the other (UVA) will need at least two more years of grad school to have your MArch to complete what you need to be a licensed architect. VT has more studio time built into its 5 years, which equals more design time. UVA has a more liberal arts focus obviously. If you look online at the breakdowns of what courses you will be taking at each, it may help you to see the differences in terms of their instructional focus. There are some really cool things happening at each school, VT has the yearly Solar Decathlon entries, UVA has a new building. </p>

<p>If you end up at UVA you could always come back to VT for grad school :slight_smile: but my s wanted the design/technical side of arch and wanted to get out there to put it to use a bit quicker- thus he headed to a 5 yr program. You really can’t go wrong with either, good luck in your choice. It is a shame you can’t make a visit to Tech and see what they have going on in person- websites don’t do it justice. Walking into Cowgill Hall might really sway you when you see what those students are capable of in terms of their designs. Amazing stuff.</p>

<p>I always associate the Architecture program at VT with Burchard Hall. That is probably the coolest thing I’ve ever seen. I had no clue that they were classrooms until my roommate this semester told me.</p>

<p>[Burchard</a> Hall | About Virginia Tech: Buildings | Virginia Tech](<a href=“Burchard Hall | Virginia Tech”>Burchard Hall | Virginia Tech)</p>

<p>As for UVA or VT, I have always felt like VT prepares you more for a career with a B.S. while UVA is more of a grad/prof school approach.</p>

<p>Honesty I’d say go VT, because if I remember correctly, VT always ranks super high on the Top Schools list.</p>

<p>[2011</a> America’s Best Architecture Schools | Features | Architectural Record](<a href=“http://archrecord.construction.com/features/Americas_Best_Architecture_Schools/2011/schools-1.asp]2011”>http://archrecord.construction.com/features/Americas_Best_Architecture_Schools/2011/schools-1.asp)</p>

<p>I don’t see UVA on there, if that helps. =)</p>

<p>james, you are right, the studio space for the students is in Burchard, but I think the best a visitor can do to look in there while on a visit is to look down through the skylights. I believe (and I may be wrong on this so check) you have to have a registered card (be an CAUS student) to be able to access the studio space. In Cowgill anyone can walk in and see pinups of exhibitions and work done by the 1st-5th years. I highly recommend doing so, even if you aren’t a prospective student and especially if you are interested in design and creativity!</p>

<p>And just to clarify, I think the reason UVA isn’t on the list is because they include only those programs that offer a 5 yr. B.Arch. 4 year B.S. in Arch degrees are excluded. I, too, still believe VT is the best way to go in the end, for that and many reasons. (but I am a tad biased! :))</p>