VT or Purdue

<p>Both great engineering schools.
i got accepted into both which one seems reasonable?
in state VA.</p>

<p>My two cents: save the money and stay instate, no employer is really going to care which one you got your degree from. I had two cousins go to Purdue and they loved it but agreed there really isnt anything to do. Lafayette makes a town like Blacksburg look like Manhattan, nothing but miles and miles of flat land surrounding you. Besides Indiana winters pretty much suck.</p>

<p>I think you might get some biased opinions on a Vt forum, but what I would say is visit both schools and go to the one that you feel most comfortable at. Don't go just because you hear different things from other people.</p>

<p>Visit both for sure. I'm pretty sure the atmosphere is pretty different between the two. I'd probably stay in state if I were you, though.</p>

<p>Glad you started this thread, Newyorkjets. This is my son's decision precisely, except that he's still waiting for what he expects to be his admission to VT and neither school is instate for us. We're just glad he'll have two good engineering schools to choose from.</p>

<p>Twoesses, glad for your boy. We are in VA and my son is waiting for his admission from VT too. But we are not trying Purdue.</p>

<p>Depending on what your son wants to study, one may be better than other unless the money factor comes into play. Isnt Purdue comp. science considered stellar? VT's comp science is also damn good, but I am not sure how it ranks. Apologies if my data is wrong - this is afterall the VT board.</p>

<p>Son has the same choice (plus a few others) He's interested in aeropspace, especially astro. How is the astro at VT?</p>

<p>@twoesses: haha, im in the same situation.
but i think id rather goto vtech then purdue</p>

<p>"Lafayette makes a town like Blacksburg look like Manhattan"</p>

<p>wow...really?</p>

<p>then VT for sure haha</p>

<p>hmm sounds like Lafayette isn't the most fun place to be for college.. but I mean Blacksburg isn't really a great town either. But to answer your question, VT's aerospace(is that the same as astro?) engineering program is steller, rated 10th in the country among the nation's most prestigious schools by U.S. News. I think that should tell you how good it is.</p>

<p>^Thanks for the reply. My son knows the aerospace program as a whole is excellent. He is interested in concentrating more on astronautics (space vehicles vs airplane) and was wondering about that side of aerospace at VT.</p>