VT or USC or Purdue or Duke for Civil Eng.

<p>I am a prospective UG student applying for civil engineering course. Out of- Purdue, Duke, Virginia Tech, USC, Which one do I apply and do ED, maybe? Suggest a choice rank? And new uni suggestion is welcomed?</p>

<p>As with many questions like this, the first response will often include the question “Where are you?” For engineering, the best choice is often your own large state school. </p>

<p>But since you asked, I would not encourage anyone I knew to go to Duke for engineering. The only exception would be a student who really wants to to Duke, and also happens to want to study engineering. If Duke is on your radar as an NC school, give some serious consideration to NCSU.</p>

<p>Since the VT ED is essentially binding, be sure you want to go there. VT themselves says their ED is designed for the kid who really really really really wants to go to VT and can’t wait to get an admission decision.</p>

<p>I know very little about Purdue, and even less about USC.</p>

<p>USC doesn’t do ED. </p>

<p>Sorry, I am a first timer.</p>

<p>So I am International Freshman applying.
I would want to know whether to do ED in VT or not. But don’t consider or ask scores etc.
Many of my first choice like UIUC, U Mish, Berkley doesn’t have ED. But i don’t have good SAT.
So, i thought of doing ED VT. (VT, Purdue, University of Southern California, Duke out of my possible high reach)
But, as VT is not in SC. I would like to know whether if i do ED in VT, then pay 400$ by 15 Jan. And then would other Common App, And other Application process go on. And would i get to know If i got in the uni??</p>

<p>No, ED is binding which means that if you get into VT early then you would have to tell all the other schools that you applied to that you were no longer interested. So you wouldn’t find out if you get in anywhere else unless the decision from that school comes back before Techs early decision notification date. If you aren’t absolutely sure that you want to go to Virginia Tech, and especially if it isn’t your top school then I would say you should apply regular decision instead of ED. </p>

<p>@DecideSomeHow‌ Your comment is absolutely baseless. Duke has the most improved engineering school and the 4th most productive engineering faculty in the country. Only someone who is incredibly biased would advice prospective students to stay away from Duke.</p>

<p>ED in civil eng. in DUKE or CMU?</p>

<p>Duke for the overall experience of attending a top 10 American research university. </p>

<p>Unless you’re in a school like MIT or Caltech, ug engineering is seen as, and pretty much is, the same at almost every school. Don’t apply binding ED anywhere. Pick a college you can afford after seeing the bottom line cost.</p>

<p>Cost doesn’t matter. And as a matter of fact. Both CMU and Duke Have similar fees structure.</p>

<p>Which one would you suggest me? CMU or DUKE for ED. Civil engineering.</p>

<p>SAT is 1900-2000 * type</p>

<p>FCCDAD is right. You probably should not bind yourself to any one school early unless you are already impressed by what the school (the program) has to offer you. </p>

<p>You may want to visit each school, talk to faculty and students and see for yourself what the program is all about. All the schools you mentioned offer solid undergraduate engineering program, each having its own niche. Both Purdue and Virginia Tech have an engineering education department within the College of Engineering which says something about the importance the university places on undergraduate education at the institution. </p>

<p>If you are a hands-on learner, you probably want to compare and contrast what these schools offer as a way of lab facilities and how well learning projects are incorporated into their 4-year curriculum. If internship is something that interests you, see what internship programs/opportunities the schools provide and whether opportunities for working with faculty on undergraduate research projects abound. </p>

<p>@Kualakoala‌ - my comment, while opinionated, is not baseless. Duke simply is not one of the mainstays of the UG engineering world, and the cost is high compared to equivalent alternatives. That’s why if someone asks me “where should I study engineering,” Duke would not be on my list. </p>

<p>Engineering rankings only take total research output into account. Duke has a relatively small but incredibly productive engineering faculty. On a per capita basis, Duke’s Pratt School of Engineering is among the very best in the nation. Engineering schools at universities like Harvard and Columbia also suffer from a lack of instant name recognition because of their treatment by ranking organizations.</p>

<p>Well, Thanks a lot people. I have decided Duke as ED. <em>fingers crossed</em> :)</p>

<p>Wow. You practically used a dart board for that decision. Given your level of knowledge of the various universities I’m not sure that applying early decision was in your best interests. Better to apply to several of the universities mentioned regular decision and then decide after you have acceptances and a better understanding of the differences between the colleges. Good luck with Duke.</p>