VT or UVa?

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I am trying to make a decision for which engineering program I should go to: Virginia Tech or University or Virginia. I am having a tough time because I am being told by my parents that engineering is better at VT. They are basing this on US News rankings. But then UVA is number 2 overall public in the nation. So they balance out in my opinion. I have heard that VT is more technical and UVA is more leadership/human side oriented (in engineering). I need help deciding which is better for getting good high paying and enjoyable job. I have already visited the VT campus and liked it a lot. I am going to visit the UVA campus as well on the admitted student visit day.
Thanks</p>

<p>I actually agree with your parents. I dont have a bias towards either school but vtech is known as a top engineering school and uva is known as the more all around/humanities school. I known several people who have gotten into both and decided on tech. you cant go wrong either way, but if you're doing a hard science (like engineering) pick vt. besides engineers thats are overall a lot higher than the other students'</p>

<p>however if you're doin anything besides animal hospial training or engineering, go to UVA</p>

<p>again im not an engineer and im not biased towards either one (even though i was waitlisted from UVA and accepted to tech, but im not going anyway)</p>

<p>Honestly, go where you will be the happiest.</p>

<p>While they do vary in the rankings, they go to simiar graduate schools, get hired by similar companies, and the rankings between them really are not enough to really say that one is definitively better than the other.</p>

<p>Try looking at each of the two schools and see where you think you could see yourself the best. UVA and Virginia Tech from what I have seen are very... I guess you could say "culturally" different. I just mean the students and the environments are pretty different between the two.</p>

<p>Also consider if theres a chance you will change your mind and change your major out of engineering.</p>

<p>It totally depends on you. I would probably go to UVA just becuase I know a lot of people with ridiculous stats that got out right rejected. However, I'd say that you can't go wrong with either.</p>

<p>archrival, you (and your folks) should be very proud to be accepted at both schools. All of your hard work paid off! I agree with Dal 100%. Although rankings are interesting to read and I do believe are, at the least, bits of information that should be considered, I think there are so many more factors to weigh. And kindaslick, no offense, but there are quite a few kids with ridiculous stats that got rejected at VT, too. I was shocked to read some of the stats on this forum. Like you said, archrival can't go wrong with either school, they are both tremendous institutions.</p>

<p>I know some people "poo poo" the "fit" or "feel" of a school, but in the case of UVA or VT, we (s is headed to VT) felt they were incredibly different in terms of the students, the campus, the professors, etc. Hopefully you can visit both for a day or so and then you will hopefully know where you want to call "home" for the next 4- 5 years. S isn't going the engineering route, but I will say that every student I know that went up to Blacksburg and did the Engineering School tour/information session, left with such a positive impression. The people up there, both students and profs, "sell" that school. </p>

<p>Again, I know it is a big decision, but what a great decision it is for you to make! Good luck and enjoy the rest of your senior year! Hokie or Wahoo you are sure to do well!</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it. KandKsmom and Dal: What non-academic differences did you notice between UVa and VT? What do you guys mean by culturally very different?</p>

<p>Ok, before I begin, please understand that everyone has a different take regarding schools. My husband likes to use the Ford vs. Chevy analogy when he talks about UVA and VT. "Some guys are Ford guys, some are Chevy guys". (I don't quite get it, but maybe some of you all do? :) Anyway, I don't want you or anyone to misinterpret what I write as disparaging remarks against UVA. It is just the two schools felt different to s, he just didn't think UVA was for him. For example:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>The campus (or in CVille they don't call it that- it is the "Grounds") VT felt more cohesive, even though it is probably bigger. Maybe it is all of the Hokie stone buildings, the drill field in the middle, etc. Everything seemed "together", although it is spacious. With the mountains surrounding the campus, the fields (and the cows!) you see driving in, he (and we) thought it is just gorgeous. He felt like that some parts of CVille adjacent to the university, other than the Lawn area- were kind of run down and not nearly as attractive. </p></li>
<li><p>The professors(s) he talked to at VT were incredibly kind and informative. When we went for our school tour, one took about an hour of his time (and we had not scheduled this!) to walk us around and show us the facilities. S tried to ask some questions (by email) with two profs at UVA last summer and got no reponse. It kind of stood out because he emailed profs at other schools he applied to, USC (Columbia), William and Mary, UGA, and all responded to his questions. Even though I tried to downplay this, it really turned him off. He really liked the attention VT (and the others) gave him. </p></li>
<li><p>The students we saw at VT were so happy, full of school spirit, engaging and helpful. Many spoke to us as we walked around. He said he felt like he could really fit in and find his place amongst them. </p></li>
</ol>

<p>Finally, there is a "feeling" you get while at VT. There was one for him at UGA, too, and to a certain extent USC. He didn't get that at UVA. You might, but he didn't. I remember driving home from our visit to Blacksburg he said, "That is a special place, Mom" and I knew he would commit to going there if he was accepted. </p>

<p>I don't mind sharing these opinions, archrival, but I know you are smart enough to just take them for what they are: one mom's (and son's) feelings. Try to visit both schools and then just go with your gut- you have done all of the work to get to this point, you will make the right decision for you I am sure! Take care.</p>

<p>A few things that I've gotten from word of mouth or several sources online.</p>

<p>UVA
* UVA's frats tend to be seen as exclusive and stereotypically frat. The socials there tend to revolve more around the frats then Tech. Approximately 30% of the campus is greek.
* UVA holds tradition very closely. One tradition if I remember correctly is the streaking ritual where students streak across the lawn naked at one or two in the morning. Another example is the honor code. If you are caught cheating once you will be kicked out immediately. Also they sing “Good ‘Ole Song” after every touchdown.
* Abercrombie made their first catalog featuring UVA's grounds and students. The student body there still reflects this. The campus is largely preppy. Students here usually tend to be more concerned with appearance then other schools. Some people like that the campus largely likes to dress up and cares about their personal appearance. Some feel however that the campus is a bit too snobby about this aspect.
* The grounds at UVA is architecturally more Roman based, featuring white columns and red brick buildings.
* Charlottesville as a city has more cultural things to do then I saw from Blacksburg. Charlottesville has more restaurants per capita then New York City.
* UVA tends to be thought of as more liberal
* UVA's grounds tend to be more tamed nature. By this I mean the nature on campus tends to be more landscaped then natural.
* Students tend to be thought of as both white and southern. Students tend to be a bit divided, as some students say diversity on campus has been getting better while others say its primarily a rich-white-kid school</p>

<p>Virginia Tech
* Virginia Tech tends to be thought of as more laid back and rural of an area.
* Blacksburg is thought of to be a very affordable area to live in. Some people feel that if Virginia Tech was not there, it would not be on a map. On the other hand you can see things like the Blue Ridge Mountains from campus.
* Virginia Tech tends to be thought of as more conservative
* Virginia Tech is built up of the same type of stone for every building. This is because they use their bricks from a specific quarry every time they need to build something.
* Virginia Tech tends to have more natural beauty, where things like the Blue Ridge Mountains and other aspects just happened to be there.
* Diversity and discrimination are topics at Tech that have received much attention over the past few years. They also are not thought of as being very racially diverse.
* Virginia Tech isn't as strong in terms of greek life, but still has lots of parties. About 14% of the campus is greek.</p>

<p>Wow Kandsmom, you are right on target! Our D and we got the exact same feelings about VT. She also was accepted at UGA and had to think hard about it because as you said they both felt "right".</p>

<p>guilliame, I know. His dad and I will forever be sold on Georgia, too, after visiting there. Honestly, if UGA was a bit closer (and he didn't have to worry about OOS tuition difference) he may have ended up a Bulldog. He says he may end up going to grad school there if he can save up enough money. He actually got a nice letter yesterday from UGA's landscape arch department head welcoming him to the Environment and Design school (I guess his acceptance withdrawal letter didn't go that far down the line).....Anyway it was a very nice touch and again speaks volumes to the way some schools do business. His younger sister has Georgia on her mind :) so there may be hope yet.</p>

<p>Either one is going to be very good, although generally VT is better in engineering. But to be honest if you do well at either you'll probably get a good job upon graduation, so just go where you like. Out of curiosity, what type of engineering are you looking at?</p>

<p>Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. Chuy I am interested in Electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and computer science. I have to decide that too.</p>

<p>Just my two cents worth as a UVa graduate and the mom of a May 2007 VT graduate.</p>

<p>I was one of those people who decided at age 12, at first sight of UVa, that that was where I was going to go to school. This was before they were even admitting women except for nursing and education; fortunately for me by the time I applied (early decision - my only application) that barrier was broken! I was an Echols scholar and loved every minute of my four years in Charlottesville. I met my husband there.</p>

<p>He is a graduate of the engineering school at UVa (mechanical). He feels that the engineering program there has a larger emphasis on humanities, especially writing, than a lot of more technical programs. That has served him well in his career.</p>

<p>We toured both VT and UVa's engineering schools; the girl that gave our Darden tour was very thorough and obviously excited about the E-school at UVa.</p>

<p>My daughter chose to look at VT because she was thinking she would be pre-vet, so we were concentrating on schools with vet schools associated. Even though I grew up in Virginia, I had never been to Blacksburg before we went to take a look at VT with her. I was impressed by how beautiful the campus is - a different beauty than UVa. It has the added benefit of seeming "more planned" with all of the buildings made of Hokie stone and with the academic buildings on one side and the residence halls on the other side of the drillfield.</p>

<p>She loved her four years there and, in fact, is still in the area working.</p>

<p>So much is how you feel when you are on the campuses - and do the kids look like you'd fit in? Do they dress like you? I've found VT to be a little more laid back and more "live and let live" as opposed to the more competitive, intellectual vibe of UVa.</p>

<p>Visit both! They're both wonderful schools and you are so lucky to have the choice. Good for you!</p>

<p>Thanks so much to all who posted about about VT and UVA. I waited to send in my deposit to VT until receiving my wait list notfication from UVA, but I knew while I was visiting Blacksburg on spring break that I loved the architecture and the atmosphere of the VT campus not to mention the delicious food! and was meant to be a Hokie.</p>

<p>congratulations DukeorHokie! Now I guess you just need to drop the first part of your screen name and you'll be all set!</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice Tiredofsnow. I am visiting the campus of UVa on April 11th. Does anyone know when the admitted student days for VT are?</p>

<p>i think its also on april 11th...lol might be wrong</p>

<p>Hokie Focus is April 12th and 13th, you only need to attend one.</p>

<p>Glad it helped, archrival. Let us know your impressions after your visits.</p>

<p>I hope my son has the same choice next year, but OOS, engineering, it will be tough. I think he'd love to be a Hokie, though!</p>

<p>UVA will give you all the engineering job and graduate opportunities that VT would offer. Not only that, but if you decide that you don't want to work as an engineer, UVA gives you access to entire industries that for the most part don't even recruit at VT. Think you might ever be interested in management consulting, investment banking or some other financial area? UVA is the only choice here for those jobs. </p>

<pre><code> I don't know where the idea comes from that VT is absolutely a better engineering school than UVA. Yes, VT has a much larger engineering school and does a lot more research (very important at the graduate level), but UVA has smaller courses, smarter students on average and better overall job opportunities. Comparing departmental strengths can be fairly silly at the undergraduate level. Would you consider VT over Duke or Yale for engineering? Certainly not, unless VT threw a great deal of money at you.
</code></pre>