VT pre med

<p>I have been accepted into both Virginia Tech and UVA as a junior transfer. Because I have always been attached to Virginia Tech, have visited many times, and live very close by (in Roanoke), I accepted my offer of admission before I even received my letter from UVA. Since being accepted into UVA, several people (not necessarily the most experienced in this subject matter) have said UVA would be better if I want to go to medical school after graduation. It seems to me that Virginia Tech would be just as good a choice, especially considering the fact that they have VCOM and the med school opening soon in Roanoke.</p>

<p>Do you think I would have an advantage in getting into medical school if I were to go to UVA? Thanks.</p>

<p>I would choose Tech, UVA would be better if you wanted to go into business not so much med school, unless you are trying to go to Harvard or Yale. Think of it this way, high GPA at Tech(3.4) or a lower GPA a UVA(2.8) a med school is going to go with the higher GPA(plus all your ECs). Im saying that because you went to CC and having gone to CC I can tell you that classes were a JOKE. I know two kids that transferred with about the same GPAs from CC a 3.8 and a 3.9. The one with the 3.9 went to UVA and has a 2.8 (transferring to CNU) after his first year, he said it was a lot of work and that he would spend about 10 hours studying for each class each week. The one with the 3.8 went to Tech and has a 3.6, he said he spends about 3 hours in total a week studying and has a blast on the weekends. Honestly your best bet would have been VCU.</p>

<p>UVA probably has had an advantage with people going to med school. Hopefully with VCOM that'll change, and I don't think the difference is great enough that if you like VT considerably more you should pick UVA anyway.</p>