**vt waiting list**

<p>I'm curious; how many of you are staying on the waiting list, and what are your stats? In a few more days, we'll know if they're pulling off or not! (According to their website, they offered the wait list to 2,100 kids -- yikes!)</p>

<p>GPA: 3.4
ACT: 28
Major: Undecided
White, decent amount of ECs
No APs, 4 honors.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Last year, we made offers from our wait list; 859 in 2009; 0 in 2008; 0 in 2007; 121 in 2006; 0 in 2005.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Sadly, this makes it difficult to guess if they are going to take from the wait list or not. :(</p>

<p>Im staying on the waitlist, although it’s looking pretty rough (2,100 kids!!!)</p>

<p>GPA: 3.6
ACT: 33
SAT: 2020
6 APS, 1 DE, 4 Honors
4 Years Varsity Soccer</p>

<p>Wow Ballaholic! Looking at your posts, I’m extremely suprised that you were on the wait list. Something must have been wrong with your application, what major did you apply for? </p>

<p>My GPA/ACT/SAT was lower than yours (and I didn’t take APs)and the admissions officer told me that if I had taken one AP class this year they would have admitted me.</p>

<p>HH - It is very hard to judge applications. If you don’t know what type of EC’s each had, what APs were offered, how rigorous the class schedule was, you simply can not compare. A 33 on the ACT is very impressive, but if the 3.6w with 6AP & 4H indicates that he got consistent B’s and a few C’s in those classes maybe they were not as impressed. Perhaps that is not the case at all. Maybe the APs were killer and he really showed that he was pulling heavy duty. Without sitting next to the adcom it’s next to impossible. He also could have been OOS which makes it much harder. Virginia schools have about 70% in state & 30% OOS. The applications are not even looked at together.
Try not to compare one admission to another. There will always be someone you feel was ‘less qualified’ that was admitted. Someone feels the same about you at the schools you were admitted to and they were waitlisted at. Good luck to each of you. I hope the waitlist starts moving in a day or two!</p>

<p>He suprisingly is in state. I feel like something may have been missing… did you not complete your essays or something? Although perhaps it was just because the gpa was weighted. What was your unweighted gpa?</p>

<p>Ballaholic I had much less impressive stats than yours, I hope that my denial of admission allows you or hopefulhokie a spot.</p>

<p>Yeah i was surprised that i didn’t get in either. I actually just sent my deposit in for Clemson University so if the waitlists don’t pan out i have that to fall back on. I didn’t get my VT application in until the day it was due if that makes a difference and i thought my essays were pretty solid. I don’t know what my unweighted gpa was. As for the major I am pretty sure i just applied undeclared. Anyway good luck to everyone hoping to still get in. Oh and i didn’t get into JMU either (waitlist) which was even more surprising. Although i hear that JMU’s admissions have been a crapshoot in recent years.</p>

<p>I suppose we can call them tomorrow and ask if they think they’ll be pulling from the waitlist?</p>

<p>I’m sure this goes without saying, but if anyone calls this VT admissions this week concerning the waitlist please post what they say.</p>

<p>I gave them a call, and they told me that they honestly have no idea. Even though the deadline was on Saturday they still have acceptances/denials pouring in from extensions, kids who were late, etc.</p>

<p>They also told me they probably wouldn’t know until about June 1st at the earliest. Please post if you guys have any new info!</p>

<p>Heard today that JMU started offers from their wait-list so maybe VT will be soon. The fact that JMU is going to the wait list might that be a good sign for those on the VT wait list???</p>

<p>yeah i just got off the jmu waitlist today! still hoping for vt though</p>

<p>ball, I am guessing that your gpa was the killer because you show you have the brains through testing, but if your weighted gpa was 3.6 with 6 AP’s that means in their eyes academically you did not apply yourself. In their mind their fear is there are a lot more diversions at college than at home in hs, and for risk assessment of academic probation you are probably high up there.</p>

<p>They get kids who are poor test takers, they also can look the other way if they say an upward trend, but a 3.6 wgpa with that amount of AP’s and honors means you were actually a B/C student who had the ability to be an A student with a 33 ACT. You obviously have the knowledge it was the application that wait listed you.</p>

<p>I am only pointing this out because these sites have lurkers and it will assist them to understand why someone with your stats was waitlisted.</p>

<p>I do agree it is shocking you got waitlisted at JMU. Congrats on getting in. Also remember JMU had 23k+ applicants this yr for their 4K slots.</p>

<p>Posted by WastedXYears on another thread…
"So yeah I contacted VT and they said they were not taking any more people becuz spaces had filled up. "</p>

<p>I’m guessing this means that they aren’t going to the waitlist this year. I will call later to confirm!</p>

<p>Called Friday and admissions office person said to wait another two weeks and maybe then they will know if they’re going to pull from the waiting list.</p>

<p>Does anyone know from past years when they put out waiting list info? Do we really have to wait until July 1st?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Don’t pull yourself off the wait list if you really want to get in! It will definitely help you out, and you have virtually no detrimental chances. Definitely don’t wait for VT, because as you said with 2,100 kids, you also never know what will happen the other way around.</p>

<p>I got a letter today that said Virginia Tech wouldn’t be going to its waitlist this year.</p>

<p>I got this letter too, and it’s a huge shame.</p>

<p>Does anyone know if VT has an “extended” waitlist, and if so does that mean that those of us who got the letter saying that VT was not going to its waitlist are completely out of the game? Or is there a small chance that some kids may drop out over the summer?</p>

<p>It’s highly unlikely, unlike in years past where we didn’t go to the waitlist for <em>whatever</em> reason, this one is certainly driven by the current economic climate.</p>

<p>Look at it this way with a bit of numerical analysis:</p>

<p>VT typically fills up 25% of its ~5,200 class early action. So that’s 1300 right there, that HAVE to go to Virginia Tech now. That means there are 3900 spots left for regular admission out of the remaining ~20,000 who were rolled over or applied regular. The yield rate is usually around 40% in a good economic year, so we’ll apply that to be conservative. That means they accept and additional ~9750 or so which, with 1250 early apps comes to about 11,000 accepted. But the point is, it’s 20,000 people being considered for 3900 spots more or less, in the end.</p>

<p>I am with Go Tech Go. It would take a heck of a lot of students dropping over the summer to open that waitlist up.</p>