VT with NROTC scholarship

<p>My son is finishing up his junior year in high school. At this point, his first choice college is VT and wants Aerospace. He is applying for a NROTC scholarship which requires application to 5 schools. </p>

<p>Does applying for the NROTC scholarship prevent him from applying for early decision at VT? We realize that if accepted on early decision, he would have to attend regardless of whether he got the NROTC scholarship, and that's okay with us if that is where he really wants to attend. Are there any reasons to apply regular decision for all 5 schools? He just wants to optimize his chance of getting into VT if he can whether or not he gets the scholarship.</p>

<p>If I were you I'd send an email to the NROTC scholarship people (and possibly VT, but they'll probably tell you to ask the NROTC people) asking them how to handle it. This is probably a pretty common question for them. It sounds like you could send in the applications to five schools including the early decision application to VT and just cancel the other four once he gets accepted, but I'd ask them to be sure.</p>

<p>I would strongly suggest you and your son contact the NROTC recruitment officer at VT as soon as possible, and get his scholarship started as soon as possible. If he is competitive for ED he will likely be competitive for the scholarship. It is possible to know about the scholarship prior to the early decision day for VT. My son had his Army scholarship application completed (with officer interview) in time for the second Army board. It reported out in time for the Dec 15 ED day. He was able to accept the scholarship and ED offer mid-Jan. So I would strongly suggest getting the application done ASAP, with medical quals and officer interview. The other reason to get the scholarship done early and get the early decision is the most if not all ROTC units have direct contact with admissions offices. So it will help anywhere he applies.</p>

<p>Thanks for your replies, Chuy and Vtnewdad. </p>

<p>My son hopes to get his application into Navy as soon as he is done final and AP exams and can spend some quality time on his essays -- hopefully done by end of June. I vaguely remember Navy's first board review as being August. I'll call VT next week as well. </p>

<p>Good to know, Vtnewdad, that your son applied for an ROTC scholarship and ED to VT also -- I wasn't sure is that was some kind of no-no. It would sure be nice to have son's future set by next Christmas (or so).</p>