Wait a year to apply to a direct admit nursing program? Pros and Cons?

I’m a senior and just now have decided that I want to apply to a direct admit nursing program (not a 2+2). I’ve always been interested, but not fully committed until now.
SAT 1210
GPA 3.6 (but Bs in science and math classes)
I’m am filling out applications by myself and will be applying soon. However, I know that my application/test scores/essay could be so much stronger if waited a year.

If I got a CNA/tech job and worked for a year in a hospital setting, would I have a better chance of getting in next year? Could I do that and take some classes at a CC? Would that make me a transfer student? Would schools look down on this? I will not flounder during the year. I am very committed but I wasn’t when it would have made a difference.

Do you expect your grades in science and math courses to be higher this school year? If so, I think your idea has merit, though there are some direct entry schools, at least here in Pennsylvania, that would most likely accept you with B grades in science and math. I think it would be best not to take community college courses, as many colleges/universities would then consider you a transfer student. As you are probably aware, students entering as freshmen most often get higher merit scholarships and other institutional aid than transfer students. Also, depending on school policy, it probably wouldn’t shorten the time you’d need to complete the requirements for your BSN.

I would still apply to programs this year and see what happens. If they tell you no then reassess your options. I work with a bunch of cnas who are in nursing school through a community college who will transfer to a bridge program after graduation to get their BSN. It’s not as direct a route as a direct admit school but it is the route so many of your future coworkers took.