Wait listed at Va Tech...chances?

Son got waitlisted. Applied regular decision - 1300 SAT, 3.8 weighted GPA, full IB diploma candidate. Some extracurriculars, plenty of volunteering. Chances?

Unfortunately, nobody can provide any insight on chances as we do not know if VT will even be able to draw from the WL this year. Additionally, I do not believe VT ranks their WL, so if that is the case, your son’s chances are the same as anyone else in his major. You can call VT to verify if this is still the case. Best of Luck.

Literally depends on how many people in your chosen majors that were accepted end up enrolling, and your relative rank among the other waitlisted people. No one knows, though plenty of years VT accepts zero or very few people off the waitlist. In short, chances are low. 1300 and 3.8 W aren’t exactly going to blow vt admissions away.

Yeah, i gave him a 50/50 shot at Va Tech from the beginning, so i guess the fact that he didn’t get outright rejected is something. Fortunately, he took the waitlisting as a kind of a sign to reconsider his list and Va Tech is really no longer his top choice, since his chances are now slim. He’s okay with that and actually very excited about the other school which he had kind of ‘tied’ with Va Tech on his preference list but now pushed to the top. And frankly, Va Tech was never top of my list for him, so it’s a win-win. Thanks.

Move on to his next choice. Waitlist decision does not come out until July. I believe no one from waitlist got admitted last year but the year before did have quite a few.