Waiting List

<p>I've seen at least a few of the posters on here say they're on the waiting list, myself included. I'll leave this thread here for the coming month or two--if you get in, please post here. Celebration for you, information for the rest of us. : )</p>

<p>Question about the waiting list - I got an email from Hampshire saying to respond by Sunday April 10th. Of course, Sunday is April 8th; the 10th isn’t until Tuesday. Which day do you have to respond by? Whatever day that is, can you respond that day or should you the day before?</p>

<p>Also, should you only respond to the wait list if you are certain you would attend? I was accepted to some other schools that I am happy about; if I was accepted off the wait list for Hampshire I am not sure if I would choose to attend Hampshire or not…Is that not fair to other people to be on the wait list if I am not dead-set on attending Hampshire?</p>

<p>If you’re happy with what you’ve got, why bother being on a wait list?</p>

<p>My answer to this question is a bit lame, so maybe that means I should turn down the wait list. I am unsure about saying no the wait list because I am not sure that the schools I have been accepted to are a better fit for me than Hampshire.</p>

<p>The way I feel about waiting lists are that the school doesn’t really want you there, so don’t do it. I want to go to a school that actually wants me to be there, not one that accepts me because they had space to fill. I got into Hampshire with the biggest scholarship they offer, and that really makes me want to go. Accept a position on the waitlist if you’re okay with never getting in, and only that.</p>

<p>Many people see WLs as indicating that you are a good fit for the school, but the adcoms in trying to build a diverse class had to balance the attributes of all the good candidates so had to put you on the WL. My recommendation is that you stay on the WL if you would seriously consider going if offered admission- not a promise to attend. I do know at least some students are offered admission as late as late July/early August; a woman on my D’s hall got her offer about that time and she is a happy member of the community.</p>

<p>On May 19 2012 my Daughter is graduating from Hampshire College after 4 glorious years. It seems so long ago that she applied to seven schools, was accepted to 4 with one waiting list option. Hampshire. We went back and forth about sending the postcard to be placed on the waiting list but I pressured her to keep all options open and the deed was done. We even sent a good sized deposit on her second choice, a more traditional school also in New England but the God’s were with us and she was accepted from the waiting list. We lost our money but in the long run her experiences can not be measured by the almighty bottom line.</p>

<p>I got my acceptance off the wait list today! Anyone else?</p>

<p>I got an acceptance off the wait list today too! It’s surprising that it came so soon (especially before May 1st) that I’m wondering if they partially based it on how many people responded by April 10th.</p>