Waiting List

<p>I was recently waitlisted for UM and I would like to know some of the statistics. It was a complete surprise to me when I got the letter. I had originally thought that my chances of acceptance were strong. Does anyone know how many kids are on the list this year, and how many will get in.
-Thanks</p>

<p>Don't feel badly. Miami is geting tougher to get into each year. I would bet that they take a number of kids off the waiting list. Do you know how high up you are on the list?</p>

<p>I’m not sure what my place is on the list. Is that something that they could tell me if I called the admissions office? Also, should I write a letter or send them another recomendation to let them know that I am still interested in attending the school next year?</p>

<p>I have a 3.65 unweighted GPA with honors and AP classes. I have 1960 SAT and good ECs and solid recs, top 12% of class. I would hope that I would be somewhere near the top of the list, but I also thought that I would get in, so I am probably wrong on this too. If anyone else is on the waiting list, I would like to know your stats.</p>

<p>kcalli,
most schools do not keep numbered lists; if they take students from the WL it it done with an eye to complement the class. If they need another tuba player or South Dakotan, or journalist, then that's who get offered the space.</p>

<p>Kcalli, I would URGE you to CALL by PHone the admissions office instead of writing them a letter. In fact, do both. tell them that first, you were just as surprised that u were waitlisted as u were dissapointed becuase UM was your first choice of school. Tell them Um still is ur #1 choice of school. ask them why u were waitlisted as you believed you really showed potential to contribute to UM's excellent academic instituion. Finally ask them what can u do to get off the waitlist as you really wish you can attend their school. </p>

<p>I really urge u to do this. Also send a letter of reccommendation if u can. Make sure its someone that will speak highly of u cause if they write any negative comments, that right there keeps u in the waitlist.
assuming you do this you should definately be the first to be taken off the waitlist if space is available after all the admitted studnets decide to enroll or not enroll.</p>

<p>Also do not feel bad at all. You are probably academically qualified. the ultimate factor is that they have so many academically qualified students that they often look at essays and letters of reference to determine the elegibiltiy of "academically qualified" applicants. If u sent them a weak essay or no letters of reference, be sure to send them.</p>

<p>i was also defered to waiting list in UM.. but got a email yesterday that they had a special opcion for me and that i had to wait for the mail. what kind of offer could it be?</p>

<p>interesting, I did not get a similar e-mail. Are you international, maybe that would have something to do with it</p>

<p>yes i'm international.... what do u think it could be?? i'm very anxiouse!! i really want to go to UM</p>

<p>Cilia, I have a good idea of what it could be. The options could be either one:</p>

<p>option one (I hope u get it): u are admitted conditionally, in which u have to retake a course they feel ur deficient in and or u failed in. U didnt the SAT so they might have u take a conditional test on math or english and if ur score does not meet the requirement then they will place u in an inglish intesive course or math course over summer. somethin like that. I know some ppl that got an offer in the past from other schools before. </p>

<p>Option 2 (I doubt this is the case): U were not able to get directly into UM but are giving u the option of enrolling into UM after a semester of course work at a community college. Once again I doubt this is the case cause otherwise they just would have sent u snail mail telling u that u were basically rejected and u could consider a CC for a year. That is not the case, they sent u an email telling u they had a "deal" for u. A rejected student woudlnt get that email.</p>

<p>Cilia, I think ur in! Congrats! Just be aware the "deal" they have definately involves u doin some work over the summer probably.</p>

<p>By the way have u tried logging onto ur MYUM.
if the mail u are going to get will basically say uve been admitted, then mayby any day soon or today ull be in the system. in that case ur MYUM will have different options with the ability of paying ur enrollment deposit. That right there tells u that uve been admitted.</p>

<p>MY UM account has not updated since I was waitlisted. It continues to say that they are reviewing my application, does this mean anything? Also when do you think that earliest I would hear from UM about the waitlist would be?</p>

<p>KCalli, i think that u should hear soon. Depending on how well qualified academically u are, then u should hear very soon. most accepted students are at this point denying or accepting their admission decisions to enroll so UM admissions officers should be already trying to evaluate the free spots to place u in if spots are available. Once again i suggets u start calling them all the time telling them ur interest in being admitted so ur name stands out in the committee and they put u in cuz they know u will attend.</p>

<p>acarta07... i really hope that my opcion is the 1st one... but this means i will not get any financial aid??... or maybe i will??.. i cant afford UM tuition,,, its very expensive...i just checked myum and its the same as be4... i will continue cheking.. but thanks anyway.. u r great help!</p>

<p>Most schools do not go to their waiting lists until after May 1st and advise students to accept a spot at another school in case they are not taken off the waitlist. Please read your letter carefully and if you have any questions, call Admissions. Good luck.</p>

<p>3 sons, but they told here they are giving had an option to present to her. "most" schools dont, and yes that is true. Miami says they dont release till june. However there can always be exeptions. Remember Cilia is legacy at Miami.</p>

<p>I called the admissions office today. They told me that no kids were taken off of the waiting list last year and that the list this year is very small. They also said that they anticipate taking some kids this year sice the applicant pool was so strong (many kids going to other top schools), I hope that is the case.</p>

<p>what do u mean taking some kids?? accepting from the waiting list?</p>

<p>Yes, taking kids from the waiting list. They said that they were competing with different schools for students and that many would probably go to another top ranked school, not completely sure though.</p>