Waitlist: Sarah Lawrence College

I was recently waitlisted at Sarah Lawrence College. Does this mean I am unlikely to get a place in the class? I have also heard that if you get waitlisted at SLC it almost automatically guarantees you won’t get any financial aid if accepted later on. I’m worried this means I won’t get into some of the other schools I was really hoping to get into based off of SLC’s 53% acceptance rate. Any opinions?

I had the same experience, I got waitlisted and i thought that it would be my target/safety school. SLC is pretty expensive and i heard that they kind of suck regarding FA

@aertire I definitely thought it would be my target/safety school as well. I emailed the admissions office and they told me that wait list decisions can come out prior to May first, on May first, or any time after. Unfortunately, I have also heard that if you get in off the waitlist, your FA is really low for your first year unless you defer for a year.

My daughter was accepted and her financial aide offer was terrible, so I wouldn’t have high hopes off the waitlist.

SLC is such a unique school but oh well thats there loss for missing out on amazing students

Has anyone heard back yet?

My daughter got a spot from the waitlist. The fin aid was actually REALLY good, which was surprising because we had heard that SLC’s fin aid wasn’t anything to get excited about. She also got a spot on Bryn Mawr’s waitlist and their fin aid was pretty awful, especially for a school that pledges to meet “100% of demonstrated need”. Our expected family contribution according to BMC was almost double what it was on the FAFSA! I appealed and got about half but it came with a note letting us know that the appeal aid is not guaranteed year over year. Um-hmm…

SLC admissions and fin aid were both really helpful, although I don’t think SLC’s written fin aid documents were as good as some other colleges (which was why I had to call). I guess that $700 deposit we paid to Washington College is really just a donation - SLC, here we come!

@katiesmother could you share any tips on how your daughter got off the waitlist? I’m an international student and i asked for a lot of aid!!! slc is my top choice and i would really love to go there but I’m afraid they won’t accept more people off the waitlist this year

@anthror I got off the waitlist a little over a week ago after speaking with an admissions councilor and sending in an essay I wrote for my psychology class. Emailing the admissions goes a long way, good luck!

I currently attend SLC and I was accepted off the waitlist and I got an AMAZING financial aid offer. Most of it was based on my family’s income, but I received the Dean’s scholarship as well. DONT LOSE HOPE!!!

Also, I didn’t do anything extra like send any additional essays while I was waiting, since SLC was not initially my top choice (it is now, though!) and I still got in, but I know communicating with admissions definitely couldn’t hurt

Also, I didn’t do anything extra like send any additional essays while I was waiting, since SLC was not initially my top choice (it is now, though!) and I still got in, but I know communicating with admissions definitely couldn’t hurt

@janeaust3n any advice on getting off the waitlist?

@agfavista1600 talk to your admissions counselor. send more writing samples

I sent an additional letter of rec, a writing sample, and letter of continued interest last week. I just hope they’ll be enough space for them to refer to the waitlist to admit students. Around when were you notified of your admission from the waitlist?

I totally forgot to tag you in my previous post ^^^ @hellodollyy

@agfavista1600 I spoke to my counselor on the phone and was notified the next day in early april.

@hellodollyy would you recommend speaking to your counselor on the phone, what did you talk about or ask about.

@agfavista1600 just be honest and passionate about your genuine interest in Sarah Lawrence. why is Sarah Lawrence specifically perfect for you? let them know what makes Sarah Lawrence different

I reached out to my regional counselor and I was accepted the next day, clearly Sarah Lawrence values demonstrated interest! For anyone waiting I would definitely recommend reaching out to your regional counselor to make your interest known.