Waitlist

<p>How successful are wait listed applicants in eventually becoming admitted?</p>

<p>Like in UCI’s case, for example.</p>

<p>I've never heard of any UC maintaining a wait list for UG before, so there's no track record.</p>

<p>I think UCI's just doing it this year because they're unsure of how the economy will affect their yield- it's pretty remarkable, though.</p>

<p>^ What do you mean? Remarkable in what sense? </p>

<p>To OP: This kid I knew said something similar about a waitlist, I didn't believe him since this has never happened before. I assume that he needed some kind of supplemental material. (They had this for LA and Cal, I know)</p>

<p>The only thing you can do is show interest. Have you tried calling them? Maybe tell them that your first semester grades were good (assuming you didn't slack). Let them know that if you're accepted that you will attend.</p>

<p>The waitlist situation is interesting at Irvine. My DS was accepted earlier, but we are OOS which means a great deal more money. Although DS had quite good stats it appears later people were rejected with better ones. There is no doubt that there will be someone for his spot if he doesn't send the SIR in. I think the whole admissions thing is unpredictable. Maybe because the last name is at the beginning of the alphabet you get considered earlier and have a better chance. Who knows. He is seriously considering Irvine and not going to give up his spot at this time. (Still waiting for USC.)</p>

<p>If true, this is a remarkable development...one that will likely become emulated by other UCs in the future. This might help them become more selective institutions in admissions and raise their yields...</p>

<p>UCSD already does this through their winter admits, who can be bumped up to fall should enrollement fall short of expectations.</p>

<p>This waitlist exists</p>

<p>UCI has a ~25% yield, so wont that mean that there will be extra space? It seems that this wait list is rather short, as I dont see many people on it.
Is this closer to being a false hope that some people will get in or a formality that UCI must do for budget purposes?</p>

<p>UCI has a low yield but they do admit a lot more people than the number of slot in the entering freshman class. No one knows what happen to the waitlist this year as the economic situation might make things quite unpredictable. Best wishes to you.</p>

<p>This is also my question.
I am also on the waitlist.</p>

<p>Wow! A UC waitlist! Now I've heard everything!</p>