Waitlisted 2017

Thought of starting a discussion for those, like me, who got waitlisted from VT. Also if anybody has any helpful information on chances of getting of the wait list or anything related to that, feel free to share it with us.

There are some data sets that post prior years’ waitlist numbers and the number accepted. I don’t have the link, but I am sure someone will paste the link here for you.

I have heard that VT admissions officers will actually speak with a student and give the reason for waitlist (or denial). So, first thing in the morning, call VT admissions. You may be able to provide updated info that can improve your chances and request a second look. Make sure you are prepared with questions you want to ask. Don’t fumble. Have some talking points in front of you.

As far as other things to do to improve your chances for getting off the waitlist and receiving an admission, there are threads dedicated to wait lists and you might find some ideas there. However, if VT is your #1 choice, then go with your gut and pull out all the stops. In addition to actually calling VT admissions, 1. Write an email and send hard copy letter to your VT admissions director in charge of your area, and include: a) VT is your number one choice of college and that if offered admission, that you will accept. 2) add any possible info that could improve your application, such as 3rd quarter grades, honors, that you lettered in community service, have new job, etc. 3) remind them of why VT is your number one choice and importantly, what you will bring to the VT community.

I have recently read on CC, that the high school guidance counselor can play a roll in the admissions process. So, I would go to my guidance counselor tomorrow and seek advice. Would your GC make a phone call for you?

I know you know that there are many paths to get into VT, even if things don’t immediately work out. Your diploma can still read VT.

If VT is your ultimate destination, then mark your path, execute the turns well, and enjoy the ride along the way.

Thank you so much. I have already called VT and spoke to the admissions person and explained to them many points as well other colleges I got accepted to and might go to. I will start writing a letter to them and send it ASAP. I’m just concerned with the fact that they might not even go to the wait list this year, since their class size will only be 6,200 students. The VT C/O 2021 on fb already has around 5,000 who will attend and already committed to VT.

Good luck to you- and remember that early April seems to be the time people commit (despite the May 1st cut off) if for no other reason that the admitted weekends (like VT) are coming up in the next couple of weeks. There may be 5,000, but that number will more than likely not grow exponentially.

Were you WL to VT engineering or “just” VT? Did you enter a 2nd choice major and weren’t admitted to that as well?
Wondering if they did an engineering WL this year or not, given their internal transfer changes.

You are right, some years they don’t take any off WL, for either CoE or VT. Last couple years they have used the WL so that may be the new trend. Good luck

@JustGraduate I was WL to the College of Science, and when I contacted the admissions lady, she said if I get in it’ll be the CoS or University Studies. I hope that this could be a new trend for tech and they end up taking more people from the WL. But the number of people that we’re offered a place on the WL is ridiculous- 3,400 !! @Darling3 Thank you, I hope so.

Anyone have an update on the VT waitlist yet? Has anyone been offered a spot off the waitlist for fall 2017?

@DiscordRhyme5 they’re not gonna start offering spots until may 1st, which is the deposit deadline, if they don’t have 6,200 deposits down they’ll start taking people from the waitlist.

What is the earliest waitlisted students will be notified?

Decisions are due today. So tomorrow is the earliest. But don’t count on anything for a few days.

Would it be wise to call and ask if they will be even accepting people from the WL this year?

You can call @Mada01 but I don’t think you’ll get a straight answer. But if you do, please share what you find.

They took the “WL Decision” off the status page today, so I’m guessing they’ll start updating them soon. Good Luck to everyone !!!

Does anyone know how you will be contacted if you are offered a spot?

This was a few years ago so the process could have changed. I still have the email sent to my son when he got off the wait list. Subject line was "Important information from Virginia Tech! ". There may have been a status change online before the email came but we really weren’t continuing to check as he had moved on and committed to another school. The email came the same day they also sent out something by post and we received that a few days after the email. The email came on June 4th and he had to respond by June 12th. Good luck!

@sevmom Thank you!! This is very helpful. If nothing changes by Friday, I will give them a call and ask about further details. I’m just waiting to get my AP exams out of the way.

I noticed that my daughter’s application status page no longer had the “on the waitlist” status.

I sent an email to the admissions office yesterday inquiring about that and received the following reply this morning:

Greetings from VT Admissions!

We have decided that we will not be offering admission to anyone on the wait list this year. Your daughter may apply next year for fall 2018 admission if she wishes.

Regards,

Sorry to hear that. Bummer.

WOW that is crazy. My daughter has several friends that will be very disappointed. This was a very competitive year for college applications everywhere. Best of luck to your daughter @jayjennat

Thank You

She will be going to JMU