Waitlisted for my choice major

I applied to Purdue for Early Action and was denied acceptance for my choice major (First Year Engineering) sometime in November. I was offered acceptance to a different major or choose to be waitlisted for my original major, but eventually chose the latter since I wasn’t sure if applying to a different major and transferring into engineering was a good idea. I have no idea what to do since Purdue is my first choice.

1. Was it a good idea to choose to be on the waitlist? Should I just consider it a denied acceptance and move on (as much as it pains me to do so)?
  2. According to the letter, it says I will hear back from them no later than June 2017. Does this mean they will not get back to me regarding the waitlist until then? Or does that mean they will be taking students off the waitlist up until that point?

Kindly let me know. I’m not desperate, but it’s my first choice school and I have no idea what to do.

1. I cannot say if it was a good idea to choose to be on the waitlist without knowing how much the alternative major interests you. You may want to speak to the admissions office or your counselor about the likelihood of transferring to Engineering. Also, it's better to keep other colleges open as well as you might be denied admission.
  2. Purdue follows a rolling admission system. They most likely will review your application once again after hearing back from admitted students who deny the offer of admission, to see if there are enough spaces remaining. You may hear back from them earlier, but as told earlier, keep your options open as they might deny you admission.

Also, would you mind sharing your stats?