Waitlisted to UCLA, Cal Poly SLO, and Davis....What gives?

Accepted:
UCSD
UCSB

Waitlisted:
UCLA
Cal Poly SLO
UC Davis

2040 SAT (630 CR, 720 M, 680 W)…2100 superscore
760 Math 2
31 ACT

4.0 Uneweighted GPA, 4.40 Weighted
7 APs/3 Honors

Took every math and science class offered at school including Calc AB

Rank 3/482

Something is fishy. Only about 1% of applicants get waitlisted to schools, what are the odds that I get waitlisted to THREE schools? I was honestly considering Davis and SLO low matches/safeties but I got waitlisted?! How do I get accepted to UCSD but waitlisted to Davis?

BTW I am an engineering applicant (low income)

And your problem is? You applied to a lot of schools so you’d have options and you have them. You’ve got great choices. If you want to stay on the waitlist then do so. Otherwise celebrate the fact you have great outcomes and move on.

Obviously theyre considering you since your stats are great, but the schools you applied to are heavily competitive and engineering is a pretty impacted major. Just remember that scores just aren’t enough, and a lack of outside experience may have caused you to be waitlisted. Think about the quality of ypur essay too.

Isnt there something with the budget in California? Not from there but that is what I keep reading that

Many students are finding themselves in the same position because of the current fight between the governor and the head of the UC system. The budget hasn’t been approved so colleges have no idea how many students they can admit; for this reason I think the waitlists are going to be pretty big this year. In addition some of the UC’s are trying to decrease their enrollment classes in order to deal with the impact majors problems. Engineering in particular is a very tough major to apply to. You are very fortunate to be accepted to two UC’s because I know many students with your stats that have gotten into none.

Since you mentioned that you are low-income did you apply via UC’s eop program for low-income students? EOP could have helped you gain admission if you are low-income.

I suggest you accept the waitlist position and become excited about the colleges that have accepted you. Good luck!!

Due to the budget standoff with the Govenor and Napilitano, the UC’s have frozen admit rates to 2014 levels although more applicants applied. This has resulted in more waitlisted applicants until the budget is worked out. Here are the waitlist stats for all the UC’s from last year: http://■■■■■■■■■■■■/home/fall-2014-last-year-frosh-waitlist-appeal-cancellation-numbers/

UCD, Cal Poly SLO, and UCLA have a high pool of applicants for engineering program. They have the numbers of those who can be admitted. Don’t overstimate UCD and Cal Poly SLO because you think you have good stats. Sometimes students like you or with better stats get rejected.

I understand what you all are saying and I’m not complaining about being wait listed to any one school its the fact that I was wait listed to three schools that confuses me. I feel that it is HIGHLY unlikely that this would happen.

Sometimes it does happen. Why are you confused?
We can say a lot of the things here but they had made the decisions. Right now, you will need to wait until the decision come out. Best of luck!