Waitlisted... what now

I was waitlisted for fall 2017 and I have relatively good stats. 34 act 3.65 gpa. What do I do now and how can I increase my chances to get in?

I got waitlisted as well Im confused how that can happen considering they still have open spots for regular decision applicants. Every other school defers people who don’t get accepted but UM waitlisted them which makes no sense and is completely unfair. Im going to make a call to their admissions office to get a better explanation and partially just to complain about it.

Please let us know what they say. I’m confused as to why they waitlisted so many people as well. It sucks cause now if you are accepted off the waitlist, you can’t get financial aid or scholarships. @nikiblinov

They basically told me than you can either get accepted, waitlisted, deferred, or denied and that it basically doesn’t matter if they still have space for regular decision, I’m still waitlisted. It’s kind of ridiculous if you ask me, and getting waitlisted for early action shouldn’t be an option. Maybe they’ll get rid of that in the future…

Let us know how it goes

I got waitlisted too. Pretty mad and upset. Guess I didn’t meet their “quota”

A few years ago, my son was deferred, waitlisted and then offered admission. No scholarship money. But he got to go to his first choice school. I believe he sent back a form saying that he acknowledged that by staying on the waitlist, he understood that scholarship offer would not be forthcoming. Once he returned that form, meaning he’d be willing to pay full price, he was offered admission in very short order. Not to be too blunt. But willingness to pay full price seemed helpful.

When did he hear that he was accepted? @cookie16

He received email on April 19 that he was moved from waitlist to offer of admission.

I should have mentioned that before being moved off of fall waitlist, he had been offered spring admission. So, this was certainly a many step process. But it moved quickly. Engineering student. Don’t know if speed of movement would have been the same if he had applied to other schools at UM.

We are also hopeful to receive an offer of admission from the wait list and hope it moves quickly! We were really hoping to hear something in time to attend an admitted student day but when my son asked that question to admissions they did not make it sound like it would happen that soon. We offered to attend the admitted student day as a wait listed candidate so that we wouldn’t miss an opportunity to meet potential fellow students but they declined. The process of college admissions is fascinating and a mystery…Schools we thought would be a reach, he got in, and the one we wanted most and we thought was a perfect fit, we didn’t…fingers crossed here!
We would not be interested in a spring admission. Good luck to those still waiting and hopeful!

I got deferred with a 26 act 3.5 weighted GPA weird how these things work

I was also waitlisted… does anyone know how many kids they take off the waitlist? Just curious how much of a chance I have

The following info is from the Common Data Set:

For the 2016-2017 year, they offered 3,796 spots on the wait list, 1,440 accepted a spot on the wait list and 215 were accepted for admission.

For the 2015-2016 year, they offered 5,563 spots on the wait list, 1,295 accepted a spot on the wait list and 73 were accepted for admission.

1 Like

Dang that is super low

15% isn’t too bad.

@fallschurchmom anyone get off waitlist yet or will they wait until end of April to release any?

My understanding is that they won’t release wait list decisions until after the May 1st deadline (although I hope it is earlier)! The letter from UM tells you to place a deposit at another university so that we have a spot somewhere you will be happy. The number of people that come off of the wait list is unknown and unpredictable. They also don’t rank the wait list so you have no idea where you stand.