Wake Presidential Scholarship in the Arts

Anyone know a student who received this scholarship? Looks like it includes dance, art, and music, theater, and debate. Only 20 are given out each year so I know it’s a long shot that I’ll get much info here but I thought I’d give it a shot.

If D21 applies, she will apply for this scholarship in the dance category. Wake says you can apply ED or RD for these but I’m always leery of merit for an ED app. Thoughts on that for Wake?

Our daughter applied for an arts merit scholarship (because she was strongly encouraged to do so by Wake) but also applied and got in ED.

She didn’t get the scholarship but spent the rest of her Wake career being intermittently introduced by faculty members in her art as a “Presidential Scholar” presumably because they thought she had deserved it.

Given those circumstances it was hard for us not to think her ED status adversely impacted her consideration for the scholarship. It didn’t really matter to us, from a financial standpoint, but it was somewhat hurtful to our daughter, who felt she had been played by Wake to make the scholarship look more competitive.

WFU says “ Each year Wake Forest awards merit-based scholarships to less than 3% of its first year applicants; the recipients will benefit greatly from a Wake Forest education even as they contribute significantly to the intellectual and civic life of the campus. These scholarships, among the highest honors given to Wake Forest students, are renewable through four years, subject to satisfactory academic, extracurricular, and civic performance.”

@UGG2023

???
I read the description. I’m wondering if anyone out there got the presidential scholarship in particular. Maybe even for dance if i can get even more specific. That’s the one D21 would apply for.

My Son applied RD and for both theater and music. Between the essays for the application and the additional arts supplement it was ALOT of work. Looks like a long shot…I was actually thinking that early applicants would have the advantage?

OP wrote: “Only 20 are given out each year”. Twenty (20) Presidential Scholarships in the Arts seems like a significant number of awards.

@Publisher Both “Scholarship” and “in the Arts” is little a bit deceiving when it comes to the Presidential. The Presidential is also used to recruit for Wake’s extremely highly ranked debate team. We inquired about the Presidential in debate and were told students were expected to spend up to 40-hours a week on debate activities at certain times of the year. IF Presidential recipients do not fulfill the participation requirements attached, the scholarship is revoked. Personally, I’d call the Presidential more of a “stipend” than a scholarship for that reason - at least for debaters.

How many Presidential Scholarships are awarded for the debate team versus what is traditionally considered “The Arts”, I do not know. However, in general, Wake Forest awards very few merit scholarships compared to universities of a similar caliber and tuition cost. Our family’s running comment about WF is we love everything about the university other than its price tag and very low percentage of merit aid awarded.

I believe there are 2-4 Dance Scholarships awarded per year. $16,000 per year. You submit an application/video in the fall, they bring a select handful to campus for an audition and then award as they are able. I do not have any information regarding ED vs RD however.

I have a few questions. My DD applied for the Presidential Scholarship for Theater. She is waiting to hear. 1) can anyone tell me if the students hear EITHER way or do they only hear if they are a finalist? Do the rejected students receive a letter and/or email? 2) My DD’s friend got a letter this weekend saying she is a finalist for Presidential Scholarship for dance. The letter said only three dance students will get the award this year, has anyone heard of any theater kids getting finalist letters as well? Trying to find out if all the letters went out or if there is different timing for different departments. 3) My DD is going to Wake either way (she was accepted ED), I am still hoping she can be a candidate for the Presidential, but I understand if she is not. . .just hate the waiting!!! THANKS!!

1 Like

All students receive a letter. I’m not sure how the different departments coordinate the timing of when they are sent. Best of luck to your DD!

I can tell you that the top ranked debater in our state was notified that he did not get a Presidential Scholarship for debate. I’m unsure if he received a letter or just called in; he had an offer from another university’s debate team and needed to know if he should should attend an event at the other university or not.

Have any finalists heard back about the results of the Presidential Scholarship?

My DD’s friend found out Friday she is an alternate for dance. I guess that means if one of the dance students who were offered the scholarship decides not to attend, DD’s friend will get it?

My DD has her finalist interview for theater this weekend via Skype.

Tempkid3 was awarded the Presidential Scholarship following RD acceptance after being deferred in ED1. Happy to share experience and/or answer questions via PM.

Congrats!! What did she get it for? My DD got it for theater and she is thrilled!!!

Hi there! Could you share a little bit about your Daughter’ s experience in theater, what awards she won (if any), how she felt the WFU presidential scholarship application went, etc

^@Queensmama

@Temperantia I am unable to send a PM as I’m a newer member, but would you be able to share your child’s experience and what they got the scholarship for, what their experience was in that area, etc

Thanks for asking! My DD started doing professional acting when she was 7. She then went to a performing arts middle school and now attends a performing arts high school in NYC as a theater major.
She has also done a fair amount of community theater work as well.
She fell in love with Wake the moment we stepped foot on campus and she met with the theater department and sat in on a drama class when we visited. As for the scholarship, she submitted her monologues and essays with her application in November. She was supposed to go to campus at the end of March for the finals but that had to be cancelled (or course) so she had her finalist interview via Skype with members of the theater department. She was anxious but hopeful. She is over the moon and she literally cannot wait to attend. We feel very very lucky!

2 Likes

@singinggirl123 I sent PM to you with more details, but she has won state and regional competitions and competed on a national level in her instrument. Happy to provide additional detail via PM.