Walking on in D3 Basketball

For the OP’s sake, I believe your children played soccer and the high level summer leagues that you’re referring to were organized and not pickup at the local field, if they’re the ones I’m thinking of. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I had a relative that played D1 soccer recently and the leagues were organized and filled with D1 (and D3) players.

You also might check into what schools have experienced a recent coaching change and might not have a strong recruiting list in the pipeline.

My kid plays soccer and the first D3 coach to contact her was one hired just days before Covid shut everything down. My kid doesn’t graduate until 2022, but I know the coach gave some 2020 and 2021 players walk-on opportunities in part because the pandemic made it too hard to see games or films. But even without those factors, this coach had a program with a losing record and no relationships already being built with potential players.

If there is a school on your son’s list that might be less attractive to other recruits because of a poor record and/or new coach, maybe there will be more walk-on possibilities

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification @sushiritto, yes, I was basing my knowledge on soccer and meant to refer more generally to the expectation that college athletes train and compete in the summer.

4 Likes

Sounds like a school in Maine. Could it b?

OP: The simple answer to your question is that your son needs to contact the basketball coaches at his target schools in order to understand the walk-on process & possibilities at that particular school.

2 Likes

So did your kid try to walk on?

2 Likes