Wall Street Recruitment

<p>Does anyone know where I can find literature on which undergrad programs are targeted for recruitment into firms of "Wall-street caliber." Any information or feedback would be much appreciated, thanks!</p>

<p>[Best</a> Undergraduate B-Schools 2010: And the Winner Is … - BusinessWeek](<a href=“http://images.businessweek.com/ss/10/03/0304_best_undergrad_business_schools/index.htm?campaign_id=bschools_related]Best”>http://images.businessweek.com/ss/10/03/0304_best_undergrad_business_schools/index.htm?campaign_id=bschools_related)</p>

<p>Business Week rates the top business school in the nation. This is the official 2010 listing for undergraduate business schools. Moreover, at all of these school with the big names included(Ivy League & Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, University of Chicago) firms of “Wall Street Caliber” recruit. But remember it does not matter where you go but what you make the best of at where you end go. Even though the top-notch school have a myriad of possibilities!</p>

<p>The best school for wall street recruitment is MIT!!!</p>

<p>lol Thanks a lot. Very much appreciated.</p>

<p>That is not true. Go to wallstreetoasis.com, you can get real answers from people in the industry. Wharton at Penn sends the most kids to all the big banks than any other school on earth, followed by HYPSM.</p>

<p>If you put an MIT student vs Wharton student, MIT student will get the job b/c MIT students learn complex problem solving because of the technical background</p>

<p>Ha, false. Wharton kids are just as technical, and some ultra exclusive firms (like Silver Lake) recruit solely out of Wharton. Wharton alone has produced more billionaires than Princeton and MIT combined. Fact is, if you want to be an engineer, go to MIT, if you want to get into business, obviously nothing beats Wharton. IF you want to do both, go to M&T at Penn (Wharton + SEAS). But since M&T is ultra selective, you are more likely to be able to get you undergrad degree from MIT and get a Wharton MBA. Let us not mislead the kids now. Go to Wall Street Oasis like I said and get information from people who are actually in the industry. You will see what I said corroborated. Go to the schools known for their strengths. Penn is the only school that can say it beats Harvard in Wall Street recruitment and actually be correct.</p>

<p>" But since M&T is ultra selective, you are more likely to be able to get you undergrad degree from MIT and get a Wharton MBA."</p>

<p>So dont you think that students who get an undergraduate degree from MIT and then a MBA for Wharton will have the “both of both worlds”, i.e. a technical degree then a business degree, as opposed to an undergraduate business degree and then an MBA? Only about 60 students get into M&T every year and less than a handful of all M&T students are African American</p>

<p>kafkareborn–I’m happy that you are going to wharton and that you are excited about finance. I think you are missing a few things though.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>wharton does send more kids to banks that HYPSM. it also has many times more kids (i.e the entire school) trying to find banking jobs. only a subset of kids at HYPSM are as interested in the finance world as all of wharton is, which is a lot of the reason there are fewer of them at banks. You need to account for the differential in interest when you thinking about the differential in representation across the street.</p></li>
<li><p>wharton kids at not at all as technical as kids from MIT. sure they may be able to whip out a DCF with the best of them, but if you take an MIT engineer vs a wharton student and put then in an analysis or number theory type math class (i.e a real math class) or ask them to code something in C, I think you’ll start to see who has the better technical background. It is true that the wharton folks will know more about finance/excel going in, but none if it is hard to learn, which is why banks recruit non finance folks. Now, does any of that higher math or technical skill matter in banking–of course not. but the MIT kids will still have a superior broad technical training than wharton kids. </p></li>
<li><p>I’m not even sure that it is easier to get a banking job coming from wharton than MIT. like i said, at MIT, there are only going to be a smallish group of kids interested in banking, whereas the whole school at wharton is going to be interviewing for GS IBD. So your chances coming from MIT might be higher given the smaller group of people trying for it (its hard to make any very strong statements about this unless you are working in recruiting at a BB).</p></li>
<li><p>there are parts of finance outside of banking (which is essentially all anyone talks about on wallstreetoasis–its just a “how do i get into banking and then into PE website”), particularly trading, that kids from MIT are VASTLY better prepared for than wharton kids. i.e GETCO and Jump trading–two of the best (arguably the two best) high frequency shops in the world only recruit at stanford, mit, and a bit at princeton math.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Also, as for silver lake, they are down the street from my school. They are a very very small company. From their company website, they are 75 investment professionals. They probably recruit 1 or 2 people a year. most of their top guys come from harvard, its hard to believe they don’t check out their business school. But thats just one company and individual companies may take on a particular recruiting system for a variety of reasons. as such, id recommend trying to make claims about the quality of recruiting at a school by such one-off cases.</p>

<p>As just to add my two cents, I’ve done 3 internships at BBs, most recently at goldman. i do have a pretty good idea about what I’m talking about, and, to be honest, probably more so than a freshman that hasn’t even gone through one recruiting cycle yet.</p>

<p>BigMike3541, Well Said!!!</p>