Wanting to be a Registered Nurse.

<p>I just have some questions about schooling to become a registered nurse such as, can I go to a community college for 2 years and then transfer to a CAL STATE College? How much years of schooling does it take to become one? Is an Associate Degree good enough or should I go for the Bachelor Degree? What high school classes should I take to prepare for the schooling? Last, would Cal State San Bernardino be a good college to go to for nursing?</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>I don’t know about the California-specific questions, but it is possible to get an associate’s in Nursing and you are eligible to take the NCLEX exam and become a registered nurse. HOWEVER…the BSN (bachelor’s) is more desirable by hospitals and other places of employment. I know a few hospitals in my area are no longer hiring nurses that do not have at least a bachelor’s and are urging those with an associate’s to take classes and get the BSN. It’s crazy, because a nurse is a nurse!</p>

<p>As for high school classes, I had to answer this question myself - I was faced with the choice between AP Biology and Honors Anatomy & Physiology. Though many people told me I was just kicking myself by not taking an AP class (and therefore not looking like I was challenging myself), I picked A&P because I think i’ll be useful for college, having already learned at least something about A&P (and you’ll be taking A&P I and II in college so you can’t avoid it ;)). Otherwise, take the best math you can - I had a choice between Pre-Calc and Trig/Stats. The dean of nursing at one college recommended I take the Trig/Stats course, but Pre-Calc is more challenging and was a rehash of Trig/Stats with additional work, so overall i’d have more knowledge, and I chose Pre-Calc.</p>

<p>Otherwise, just keep doing really well in HS. Nursing programs are tough to get into and a high GPA is important.</p>

<p>As for California, I believe there is a program that allows you to transfer to California State colleges after 2 years of CC/getting your associate’s, but I think there’s a section for that. I’m sure there are more knowledgeable people than myself.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for your reply! Sorry I’m just so concerned and new about all of this. So if I go to a cc the first two years and transfer to a Cal state I would obtain an associate degree? What if I go to a 4 year Cal state school ? Would I be able to obtain a bachelors then?</p>

<p>No, if you go to CC for two years, you can obtain an associate’s. At a university, you would have a bachelor’s (2 years vs. 4 years).</p>

<p>I think there are two ways to go about it;</p>

<ol>
<li><p>You can start in CC, take classes, preferably Gen Ed requirements, stuff that you can take anywhere. Then, transfer to a 4-year and take nursing classes/other classes. By the end, you will have your bachelor’s.</p></li>
<li><p>You can start in CC, get an associate’s in nursing, become a registered nurse, then register at a college for an RN-to-BSN/“accelerated” program, which is ~16 months.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I think #2 is a better option if you are planning on going to CC, because with #2 you can start working as a nurse and still be taking classes to get your bachelor’s at the same time.</p>

<p>What I would really recommend is to just go to a 4-year university and get your bachelor’s, if you can afford it.</p>

<p>Option number one would take how long? Like 4 years right? 2 years of community then another 2 years? Or is it 2 years then plus 4 years? Sorry for these stupid questions.</p>

<p>About two years plus another two! So really, either way, you’re spending roughly the same amount of time in school all around with the same end result. Which is why I personally am hoping to get accepted into a nursing program at a university so I can get my bachelor’s. It might be cheaper to go to CC first, but at a college I visited, the dean of nursing confessed that there is literally 0 chance for a transfer because the nursing program is so competitive, with roughly 10 applicants per 1 seat. So getting it all done in one fell swoop is probably best. Otherwise, getting a degree and being able to get a job in nursing with an associate’s would be awesome.</p>

<p>Well that makes much more sense. Thanks! What college were you looking at?</p>

<p>Well, i’m on the other end of the country, but i’m looking at UMass Dartmouth, Simmons, St. Anselm’s, and a few other state colleges around here.</p>

<p>My daughter applied to 8 schools and got into all 8. including StA’s if you have any questions about her HS classes let me know.</p>