War Eagle

<p>Another great year in the rivalry. You got to shine last year, and now it’s our turn.</p>

<p>So, who wants to analyze the game for me? Seriously though, great game.</p>

<p>WAR EAGLE.</p>

<p>OK, I’ll play. First of all, congrats to Auburn and kudos to you, Student10, for such a civilized post.</p>

<p>My two cents: Auburn has a never-say-die attitude, Bama self-destructed several times, and the Tide’s play-calling in the second half frequently seemed baffling, predictable, and overly conservative.</p>

<p>Again, congratulations. </p>

<p>Now, if you don’t mind, I’m going down to the ER to see if they can extract this large knife from my chest.</p>

<p>Thanks for the nice (and funny) reply. I honestly do not know how this game ended the way it did. Judging by how things were going in the first quarter, I thought it was just going to be a blowout.</p>

<p>I love this rivalry. Alabama had essentially nothing to play for (in terms of Natl. Championship), and they still came out like it was the most important/meaningful game of the season. I am originally from the state of Florida, and I say screw the Florida-FSU rivalry, this is football at its finest.</p>

<p>My analysis: choke job.</p>

<p>bob, i love you!</p>

<p>: )</p>

<p>My analysis…enjoy the win(s)…until the NCAA vacates every last one.</p>

<p>Bama should have won this game. Period.</p>

<p>My DS has been in the “chest painters club” this year. He has had a GREAT year enjoying Alabama football. We have attended all the home games this year except for Florida and Auburn. My DS said eventhough he is devastated by the loss, he has never been to such an exciting atmosphere football game. He said the emotion was unbelieveable. He insists that we have NO excuses but to attend in 2012! Guess that 7 hour drive excuse isn’t gonna work. I have never been to an Iron Bowl, but guess I’ll be there in 2012! WHAT a rivalry!</p>

<p>You know, my NJ born, southern raised son has seriously been impressed with UA, their Honors College and with everyone he met on his campus visit. It was a visit that not only exceeded his expectations but everyone he came in contact with demonstrated southern hospitality and class. He visits Alabama’s College Confidential thread for more insight into UA and sadly these recent posts illuminate the other “Alabama” that he has been warned of.
It was a great game and what you would expect only from the Iron Bowl!</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>don’t take these Bama/Auburn rivalry posts as anything more than normal frustration at watching Bama blow a big lead to their arch rival.</p>

<p>What was the “warning”? That he would hear “smack talk” about Auburn from Bama fans and vice versa? LOL…it’s just a game. Smack talk exists between all rival schools. </p>

<p>This isn’t one of those crazy places where people riot, turn-over cars, burn things when teams win or lose.</p>

<p>No offense kmwjes, but if big time college sports and trash talking between rival fan bases upsets you or your son then by all means have him look elsewhere. I’m from NJ too and I hear worse things said up here during little league games not to mention Eagles - Giants games.</p>

<p>Alabama has taken great strides academically under Dr Witt. We have a great honors college, some of the best scholarship packages in existence, and a beautiful campus. But we also have a passion for college football that is unmatched. If you can’t separate the two
or get them to co-exist in your mind then The University of Alabama is not for you IMHO.</p>

<p>Good luck on whatever your son decides.</p>

<p>Hey, at least in Alabama, we don’t need police wearing “riot gear” showing up to prevent mayhem and destruction of public and personal property.</p>

<p>I’m always bewildered by those fans in other parts of the country who turn over cars, set things on fire, loot buildings when their favorite team wins (or loses).</p>

<p>

That may be true, but I don’t think it accurately characterizes Student10’s posts. I found him to be celebrating, not gloating, balanced in his joy for Auburn/praise for Bama’s effort, and marveling in the wonder of a dramatic game and great rivalry.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>kmwjes, please trust those impressions, garnered during your visit to UA. That’s the Bama we and our son, a freshman at UA, have experienced.</p>

<p>I’d also like to point out that there students, faculty, and staff at both schools that have little or no interest in college football. While there are people that enroll at schools mostly because they like one or more of the school’s sports teams, there are many more people who consider such teams a really nice benefit to schools that have much to offer even without those sports teams. I find it very nice that I can attend all 7 home football games for $41 ($5 per game plus a $6 fee) and attend all other home athletic events for free (I do realize that there is an activities fee built into tuition that includes these things, use of the rec center, being able to join campus organizations, etc.)</p>

<p>Frankly, there is an “other” side to every school or state. Yes, Alabama and Auburn have an intense rivalry. So do many other schools. I know that each year, UA and AU hold a joint food drive called Beat Auburn, Beat Hunger/Beat Alabama, Beat Hunger and this year collected over 250,000 pounds of food for local food banks. Both universities also cooperate in academic programs and I’m in favor of even more cooperation. While it is unlikely to happen in the near future, I’d like to see a system where students could seamlessly transfer between both institutions for some semesters and keep their scholarships. I enjoy the UA-AU rivalry and often laugh at the schoolyard taunts that the opposing sides make. While there are people who take rivalries too seriously, I highly encourage people to look at them as encouragement for each side to work hard and make themselves better. While I am disappointed that Alabama lost to Auburn in the Iron Bowl, I am excited to see how much each school has achieved and will continue to achieve both academically and athletically.</p>

<p>Roll Tide/War Eagle/Have a Great Day!</p>

<p>^^^Beautifully stated, SEA_tide.</p>

<p>*Frankly, there is an “other” side to every school or state. Yes, Alabama and Auburn have an intense rivalry. So do many other schools. *</p>

<p>Yes…I grew up in Southern Calif, and there is/was an intense UCLA/USC rivalry.</p>

<p>I think grown women are more bothered by “smack talk” because it really wasn’t a part of our childhood experiences…even in sports.</p>

<p>the UCLA/USC seems much more unfriendly than every other rivalry…just watch the end of last year’s game…it was 100% class :P…of course i loved it! haha >-)</p>

<p>also people make up names for USC (even though im a USC fan, i think they’re funny)
univ. of spoiled children
univ. of second choice
univ. of stupid children
univ. of sipping coladas etc</p>

<p>one of my friends made this up for ucla: University of Close to Liquidating its Assets (in reference to budget cuts)</p>

<p>LOL…</p>

<p>Anyway…Thanksgiving weekend is “Rivalry Week” for many schools. Not for UCLA v USC, but for USC v Notre Dame. Many of the rivalries across the nation are playing this weekend.</p>

<p>It was a great game…I enjoyed it and am happy it turned out the way it did. </p>

<p>It is highly likely that starting next year Thanksgiving in our family will never be the same.
Oldest son is at Auburn and younger son’s top choice right now is Alabama.</p>