Warning abut IMMS internship from TAMUG Graduate

About two weeks ago, information about a research internship at the Institute for Marine Mammal Studies (IMMS) was sent out through the MARB Jobs/Internship mailing list. As some who has interned with IMMS before, I feel compelled to caution people against interning there. I can’t speak for the animal care department since I didn’t work there, but the research department is extremely understaffed and poorly managed. It was pretty clear to me that most of the money is being directed towards attracting tourists and not towards funding the research department. There is also a culture of ignoring safety issues, demonstrated most clearly by putting folding chairs on the research boat because there weren’t enough seats, forcing us to hold onto the boat so we (and the chairs!) wouldn’t go overboard. Sure, I gained some field experience, but I don’t think it was worth it. Apply for this internship at your own risk!

Thank you for this info! So little is on here re:TAMUG that isn’t engineering transfer related. My dd will starts there in the fall as a MARB major.

Is there an internship department at the university that you can provide this “safety” information to.