Was applying a mistake?

<p>I applied to three UC’s: Santa Cruz, Riverside,and Merced</p>

<p>I know my stats aren’t flattering but I thought I had some chance:
UC GPA: 3.42
wGPA:3.53
nwGPA:3.07
SAT I: 1590 (CR:580) (Math: 490) (Writing: 520)
US History: 580
Literature: 490
CA Resident
Low-Income Asian Family</p>

<p>What makes me sad is my dad basically yelled at me today for “wasting” his money on the application and said I had/have no chance of getting into the UC.And he basically discouraged me from “wasting more money” by taking the SAT next week (I already registered). Should I get a refund for the SAT and retract my application?(is that even possible?)</p>

<p>No! There is no point in retracting your application, especially if you want to go to a UC. The application fee is non-refundable anyways. Your stats are fine, and you'll probably get into a couple of the 3 you applied or at least one. Might as well just wait and see if you get in.</p>

<p>yeah i'm hoping for Santa Cruz, that would be great...i cant wait till march, I just want my parents to stop giving me crap about colleges and grades.</p>

<p>No, don't get a refund. You will get into all 3 of those UCs, whether or not you take your SAT again. A 1590 is good enough for UCR and UCSC and obviously enough for Merced.</p>

<p>Sorry about your dad, I know asian parents can give a lot of crap about grades and stuff.</p>

<p>^i understand. my mom is asian and she's like that too OMG!! i don't even wanna think about the stuff she used to say to me in the past</p>

<p>btw, my friend (chinese) got into santa cruz w/ an SAT score of about 1400. she had a very good GPA though.</p>

<p>And I got rejected by Santa Cruz with an SAT of 2150. You'll get into Merced and Riverside for sure, and you have a good chance at Santa Cruz, just don't take it for granted like I did.</p>

<p>What no way Logic Warrior. What was your uc gpa?</p>

<p>LogicWarrior what was your UC GPA?Are you out of state?</p>

<p>On a side note are my chances of getting into the UC effected by major?I put down political science for all three schools and sociology as a alternative for all 3.</p>

<p>UC GPA was 3.3, in state. I'm in CC now and can get a TAG to UCSD in 2010, so it's not all bad.</p>

<p>e: I think my UC gpa was a little lower than my 3.3 weighted. I had a good freshman year, bad sophomore and junior years, and a great senior year.</p>

<p>^Oh wow...
What were your subject test scores LogicWarrior?
I'm actually kind of surprised you were rejected from SC with a 2150, even though your gpa was kind of low.</p>

<p>I don't believe it. USCS's acceptance rate is over 70%, and its average composite SAT score is 1773. It's ridiculous that they'd reject you, especially if you're instate. The acceptance rate for GPAs of 3.30-3.69 was 80.6%, so I doubt it was a GPA issue. Unless your GPA was a lot lower than that. UCSC and UCSD both use point totalling systems, so if you amassed enough points for SD, how on earth did you not get enough for SC? x.x</p>

<p>Here is a spreadsheet that shows all the factors for freshmen admissions to UCSC. </p>

<p>Google</a> Docs - ucsc score</p>

<p>You can calculate the points that you will likely be given by the admissions committee, then see if it is close to the estimated cutoff for last year. If you are significantly below 6000 total points, you are a reach. If you are significantly over the 6000 estimate, this is a safety. The actual cutoff is set by the admissions commitee after giving points to all applicants and then ranking them in order. They pick the point cutoff that gives them the desired number of acceptances for the incoming class. </p>

<p>There are factors that have a big swing effect, which is why you are seeing some with high stats not admitted and some with much lower stats accepted. For example, someone who did more than 40 a-g courses, got all As in one of the a-g academic areas for all four years, and has a heavy load with honors and/or AP classes scheduled for senior year could get up to 1000 points, which is the formula equivalent of a 1.0 bump in GPA or of earning perfect SATs.</p>

<p>Don't cancel your apps or SAT! You have a good chance at Riverside or Merced and possibly UCSC! Study hard for the SAT, especially take the practice exams and time yourself. Don't give up! Best of luck to you!</p>

<p>Is 4750 "significantly" below the 6000 mark?I know 6000 isn't the cutoff but it's nice to gauge my chances a little bit.</p>

<p>4750 is my score with only GPA+SAT scores.</p>

<p>Yes, that is massively below 6000. However, you are actually at 5040 points with just the UC GPA and the SAT scores. Remember it is the sum of SAT I plus your two SAT IIs plus your highest SAT II taken a second time, then divide that sum by 2. With your posted scores, you get 1620 points out of 2400 for SAT and you get 3420 points for GPA. </p>

<p>You need to look at the other points. You need about 1000 more to clear the cutoff. </p>

<p>Do you have any AP or honors courses scheduled for senior year? 200 points
Will you complete at least 40 semesters of a-g courses from Fresh to Senior year? 200 points
Do you have a fairly hefty senior load of classes? 200 points more
Did you get all As in one of the academic areas (History, English, Math, etc)? 250 points
Did your GPA increase over the years from a terrible Freshman year to a very good Junior year? 100 points if close to 1.0 change
Special projects, major awards at regional/state/national events? From an area with few applicants to UCSC? School ranked very poorly against other CA high schools? Take any academic prep summer courses? All could add some points.</p>

<p>Yeah I'm currently taking 4 AP classes...not sure if it qualifies as hefty especially since opted not to take AP Literature when I took AP Comp last year.</p>

<p>My Senior Schedule:
AP Economics-A
AP Government-A
AP Probabilities&Statistics-C
AP Environmental Science-A
P Concert Choir-A+
P Shakespeare English IV-A
Teacher Assistant-A+</p>

<p>Yeah I should have 46 UC approved classes.
My GPA increased from 3.0 to 3.8 last semester.
I participated in my schools History Day twice,science fair once,and pysch fair once.Never got any award besides just participating in it.I got honor roll 3 times and a academic achievement award in AP Euro for two semesters.
My school is a pretty good high school.
I took US History over the summer in 11th grade.
I live in Southern CA, San Bernandino County.</p>

<p>It sucks though cuz I took Honors English II in 10th grade but the UC's dont count it as an honors class...so instead of having a 3.53 GPA I have a 3.42.I'm gonna try to at least get a 1800 on the SAT,i've been studying</p>

<p>On the spread sheet it says up to 700 pts for special challenges. I didn't mention my mom got breast cancer but I did mention that she had to support the family abroad and only came home a couple times a year.</p>

<p>I would consider contacting UCD admissions and amending your applicaiton with that additional information (Mom with breast cancer while supporting family) as it very well could be the difference between admission and rejection.</p>

<p>My family is low income also...and according to their site, they include that under special circumstances. Colleges show know this right according the the figures I put on the application plus when I turn in FAFSA in January.</p>

<p>"I don't believe it. USCS's acceptance rate is over 70%, and its average composite SAT score is 1773. It's ridiculous that they'd reject you, especially if you're instate. The acceptance rate for GPAs of 3.30-3.69 was 80.6%, so I doubt it was a GPA issue. Unless your GPA was a lot lower than that. UCSC and UCSD both use point totalling systems, so if you amassed enough points for SD, how on earth did you not get enough for SC? x.x"</p>

<p>My college GPA is 3.45, well above the requirements for guaranteed transfer to UCSD.</p>

<p>My UC GPA in high school was 3.3. I went to three different high schools, so maybe that was a factor? And my GPA went down from freshman to junior year, and downward trend is frowned upon.</p>

<p>It wasn't my subject tests, I had a 790 in US History and 740 in Math II. Goes to show that even safeties can reject you.</p>