Was finding a good stylist ever an issue?

<p>@Starde- I’m from NYC and my mom is a professor at NYU so if you need suggestions on good places to get your hair done (I go to a place that is like $25 for a wash and set) just PM me!</p>

<p>Anyway, even though it sounds silly, hair definitely became an important factor when I was thinking about where I wanted to go to school for 4 years. Some of my top choices were Bowdoin, Amherst and Dartmouth, but as I began speaking to other women of color at these schools (and other rural schools), I realized that you definitely need to think about these things. I will have no trouble at Swarthmore since it is right outside of Philly and worst comes to worst I can just take the train back to NYC on the weekends and get my hair done.</p>

<p>superlax09, I don’t think its silly. lol I was dead serious about making sure I could find somehwere to get my hair done during college. </p>

<p>BeautifulNerd219, have fun at college in the summer! My roomate is also a black girl, lol and I am getting some suggestions from her on where to ge mine done!</p>

<p>hahaha BananaPop, you’re right that it’s not actually silly. It just seems like it for those who don’t understand the needs of black girls!</p>

<p>I thought it was a real situation, but I thought CC would find it silly so I kinda held back from asking. BUT I really got curious and asked one day. I’m sorry, but I won’t go out in public if my hair isn’t done. I just can’t do it esp. after that comment that man made about those basketball players. Didn’t he call them “nappy headed hoes”</p>

<p>superlax: Exactly! People laughed when I told them that I needed to make sure that there was a hair stylist around!</p>

<p>Yes he did call those basketball players “nappy headed hoes”! And there hair was just braided…it didnt look that bad. I try to wear my natural hair a lot, but its a lot of upkeep i think. When its done I dont have to worry about it being nappy lol. Esp in college I just dont want to have to worry about it being nappy.</p>

<p>^ lol the keyword in the whole thing was nappy…that’s what almost every black girl tries to avoid</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This is my exact plan lol. I’m so glad someone else had the guts to ask about it. I guess I’m just a bit worried that I won’t be able to find someone in time and then…well, yeah… Then again I guess if it got that bad I could just go back home and beg mom to do it for me.</p>

<p>I’m so glad someone made a thread about this. Stylists are actually among my biggest college-related fears.
This is actually making me have some sudden second thoughts about Dartmouth and Cornell, which are sort of in the middle of nowhere. When my mother went to Cornell a million years ago, she and everyone else she knew had natural hair. I don’t even remember what my natural hair looks like! And I don’t want to find out.</p>

<p>@Millancad
I wouldn’t worry b/c there are like 3 or 4 beauty shops and barbershops I’ve seen at Princeton so far, so I’m sure it’ll be the same for Dartmouth and Cornell. One of the RAs here goes to Dartmouth and a counselor went to Cornell. They both wear their real hair, and it’s pressed and everything. I would not worry at all. I bet people know they’d make a killing by having beauty shops on college campuses.</p>