Was I being a Karen asking hr to switch teams?

Please read fully before giving opinions, 28f and work in Financial Aid remotely for a school. I’ve been at the job almost 2 yrs, when I started they assigned me to a team where I had the same mgr & supervisor for most of the time I’ve been in the role. I got along with both, I noticed the supervisor tends to come across as micromanaging/hassling in a way when wanting updates & certain things done. I never complained but a yr later I did ask my mgr at the time if I should be wary of the supervisor being this way/is it implying if I’m not doing my job? And she said that the supervisor likes me, is known to be micromanage-y but things are going to change. She wasn’t kidding, after we got another supervisor so now the team had 2.

For about 1-2 months I was reassigned to the new supervisor’s team & for the whole time I was on his team I felt a lot more at ease. I thought first this was just how mgmt is, that’s when I realized I don’t think feeling hassled is completely a job description thing, it’s more the other supervisor’s mgmt style. And after that, my mgr announced she was promoted to director & that our whole team will change. I was on a leave of absence for 3 months, hoped it would work itself out & of course with my bad luck the supervisor that micromanaged was promoted to mgr & now she’s my new mgr.

The new supervisors on this new team are also more relaxed, I could be lying to myself but I wonder if other teams are like this with feeling as hassled, the job is a lot as is. My director is on maternity leave & I ended up reaching out to hr who said they’re looking into this. The hr reps & I will meet next week, I told them right off the bat I like my mgr & don’t want her to get in trouble but I was blunt too. They’re going to look to see if it’s possible, I wanted them to be honest & see the likelihood of it happening & he said he really isn’t sure, when they’ve done it before it was cause of EXTENUATING circumstances. I didn’t feel the need to talk about this with my mgr, considering she’s been at the company 10+ years & I’m assuming im one of the first formal concerns.

Thoughts?

3 Likes