Wash Post Article: Roe vs. Wade decision impacts college decisions

I agree totally that we ought to be able to have an honest discussion and despise most threads getting hidden. I’ve been home alone and opted to return to CC because I enjoy the fellowship, but Saturday H returns and Sunday my Puerto Rico kids come to visit. Whether I stay on here at that point or not will depend upon how peeved I get at hidden posts TBH. No sense ramping up stress unnecessarily!

Thanks for your explanation and don’t worry about offending me. I worked in a high school for 20 years. I’m hard to offend in an honest discussion.

That said, the anti-abortion side around me thinks anyone who helps someone get an abortion can be brought to task in Texas now. That wouldn’t count an Uber driver who had no clue, but could count a boy/girlfriend who knew exactly what they were doing.

Time will tell what really happens. For this year’s college class, I understand parents not being sure how to handle the “where do I go” question if they don’t share pro-life beliefs.

4 Likes

TRAP sequence is one example. Selective termination of the twin who won’t survive after birth allows the other twin a chance of survival (the 2 twins have connected circulation, and the one twin is acting as parasite on the other, slowly causing it to go into heart failure.) Very sad situation that only occurs in identical twins (and other higher order multiples.) The termination is accomplished by coagulating (burning off) the blood supply through the cord.

Arguably the world expert in complicated shared blood supply identical twins practices in Florida. People come world wide for his expertise. I am looking to see how these laws will affect such experts (in addition to seeing how it affects college age students.)

6 Likes

Yes, indeed there are. So many that I can’t begin to roll my eyes or respond. Though I am doing that in my head while simultaneously thinking, can someone really be worried about that aspect? Respectfully, everyone has an opinion, all opinions are to be respected on this important topic and my goal with my friends and family is to respect everyone’s opinion, not change them, ridicule them or try to put them in some bucket to make myself feel better.

6 Likes

The problem with many of the posts on this thread, and why they keep getting flagged, is that they relate purely to the subject of abortion, and have nothing to do with college decisions which is what this thread is supposed to be about.

6 Likes

Text of relevant statute reproduced below.

Sec.A171.208. CIVIL LIABILITY FOR VIOLATION OR AIDING OR
ABETTING VIOLATION.

(a)Any person, other than an officer or employee of a state or local governmental entity in this state, may bring a civil action against any person who:

(1) performs or induces an abortion in violation of this subchapter;

(2) knowingly engages in conduct that aids or abets
the performance or inducement of an abortion, including paying for or reimbursing the costs of an abortion through insurance or
otherwise, if the abortion is performed or induced in violation of
this subchapter, regardless of whether the person knew or should have known that the abortion would be performed or induced in violation of this subchapter; or

(3)intends to engage in the conduct described by Subdivision (1) or (2).

3 Likes

The only person exempted under the current Texas laws is the female who received the abortion. Everyone else is potentially liable and/or culpable if they are thought to have aided and abetted.

That means that a friend who drove a classmate to get an abortion could be sued under the SB8, and a boyfriend or parent who paid for the abortion could be sued under SB8.

My guess is that @bhs1978 and others might think that a state prosecutor wouldn’t go after such people, but it isn’t up to a state prosecutor. Under Texas law any private citizen can bring a civil case against anyone who is thought to have knowingly “aided and abetted” in any way. That’s the law. https://webservices.sos.state.tx.us/legbills/files/RS87/SB8.pdf

15 Likes

I am a doctor. I understand how delay in appropriate treatment can lead to death. I am in contact with my ER colleagues in TX. They are already starting to practice differently. I would not travel to TX if I were a pregnant woman. I would not want to send a child capable of pregnancy to college in TX.

36 Likes

I can only speak for myself, but I have two D’s who may be going to grad in the next few years.

In fact, the younger D, who’s now a 2nd year student (junior standing) in college wants to explore graduate schools in Canada, the UK and Australia. For her, that’s a 180. Why? The topic of this thread.

13 Likes

Yes, and respectfully as a doctor you said (I quoted your response below) that you were not aware that Plan C was available online. To me, as a consumer that means that maybe not all doctors in my blue state are up to date on what’s going on. That includes not only Plan B& C but also how things are being done in 50 states. At best, it’s a guess. And things are moving fast.

iftyfifty1

6d

Where are people able to access “Plan C pills” (i.e. abortion pills) to just have around? They don’t just give those out without a prescription!

To be clear, I was aware that Plan C was available online. About 50% of abortions in my state occur through meds, and these appointments have been done by telehealth since the pandemic started in my state. What I was NOT aware of, was that there were doctors willing to enter the legal gray zone of prescribing it “to have around for future use.” Apparently there exists a doctor (not located in our state) who is willing to prescribe pills to people in our state in this way. So, I stand corrected on that point, and was thankful to be made aware of this resource, as it certainly is something that could come into play for college age students affected by the new laws.

12 Likes

That’s the real point for me. Students need to know what their options are. The online providers are a huge option for college students. Thanks for the clarification. And don’t mean to call out any doctors. They can’t possibly know every little thing. Point was, there’s lot of nuance.

I do think this information can be something a college student could use if they were worried about the state they were going to. Then again, they still might worry about another aspect of female health.

Posts continue to get flagged at a rapid rate, and despite numerous requests, both moderators and admin are being ignored. I am closing this thread temporarily pending consultation with and review by the admins.

1 Like

@CC_Jon and I will discuss this thread early next week. In the meantime, we’d like to gauge interest in a low-moderation private group focused on politics and other hot-button topics. This would create a category (like the Parents Forum) that would allow for discussion with modified moderation guidelines. We’ve tried this before with mixed results – however, we’re always open to new ideas.

If you’re interested, please join the group by following this link and clicking “Join”:

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/g/Politics-Forum

We’ll determine if there is enough interest by who joins the group.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 5 days.

Mass Gov. Baker just signed a new law that provides students attending Massachusetts public colleges and universities with access to medical abortion. Private universities in MA are not covered under this legislation.

11 Likes

The Kansas result is so interesting and will provide much political fodder. As it relates to the original topic, I think many families sending their daughters to red/purple state schools hope that when it comes down to it, their daughters will get the care they need.

And that those who help will not be punished. Of course, those who can afford to send their kids out of state are not typical of most Americans, and not typical of the average person seeking an abortion.

It will be interesting to see how much the line will be tested in places where pregnancy care had already changed prior to this decision.

3 Likes

Before extrapolation begins to occur, though it already has, the amendment’s voting map is heavily concentrated in one or two parts of the State of Kansas, around big cities and college towns.

Also, Kansas had an enormous voting turnout for an August primary election. Kansas is just one state. But for now, Kansas can be put back into the column for grad schools. :smile:

7 Likes

I’m happy to see this thread reopen.

7 Likes