Washington and Lee Class of 2025 Johnson Scholarship + RD

decisions are out now!

1 Like

Wait I didnā€™t get mine am I rejected?

It is for Johnson scholars not regulars

1 Like

No one has posted - are there not results or Johnson winners?

My D got very good news Friday night. Now we just need them to open up for tours since she hasnā€™t visited campus (it was W&Lā€™s spring break when we did our SC/NC/VA campus tours last year before everything shut down).

2 Likes

When will your D hear about the Weinstein?

She heard Friday. She did not win but she did get in so we are very proud of her. I mean we are proud even if she did not get in. Unfortunately we got $0 in aid.

Iā€™d assume if one wins the Johnson they take it. How could one not ? But I do understand some get into perceived higher ranked schools and money is not their focus. Itā€™s why they have alternates.

We self toured in August and spoke to folks we came across. Walked down the hill into town. Itā€™s small and rural but very nice. Congrats to your student. Itā€™s an awesome achievement. Where else will they consider ?

We will likely end up 3 steps down perception / rank wise. But at half price or if she chooses a lower cost school to make dad happy, then even less - example FSU. But W and L is amazing, especially for her focus area. Bummed but I imagine everyone who gets in is amazing. And Iā€™m proud she applied. Getting in was a huge confidence boost.

Good luck to you.

5 Likes

Your D should be very proud of herself! The acceptance and finalist status for the Weinstein show how impressive she is. Iā€™m sure she will be happy wherever she chooses.

I get it. We are a donut hole family and would not have received any need based aid either. We are also trying to hold on to some of her education funds to contribute to medical school (if she stays that path). So my D cast a wide net looking for merit and knew that several schools (W&L included) were a no-go without it. Iā€™m very proud of her since that meant many more essays and interviews and she took it in stride without complaint (and only a couple mental breakdowns :slight_smile: ). She has been fortunate to receive nice merit from all of her acceptances but one. But this is the only full ride and an amazing opportunity. We are extremely grateful.

I donā€™t expect too many kids turn it down, but Iā€™m sure some do for ivies or specialized programs. I know one of the Johnson Scholar kids my D has been talking to said she will turn it down if she gets into a BS/MD program. As for my D, she is now only considering W&L and one other school where she is hoping for a full tuition scholarship (her #1 choice all along). If she gets that it will be time for a family meeting!

Thank you for the well wishes. Good luck to you all too!

1 Like

i got offered the scholarship but i probably wonā€™t accept it!

(to those wondering why, i got the morehead cain at unc and i prefer moreheadā€™s program to the johnson. at least thereā€™s alternates for the johnson though!)

3 Likes

Obviously, you are very accomplished. Congrats. SInce $ are a factor for us, my daughter will likely choose between FSU (about 23K), U of SC with Honors (about $28K) and her favorite by far (but my least due to it being the least ranked by far) - College of Charleston. She is in Honors and is an International Scholar (which comes with some extra parks). Thatā€™s about $40K. Obviously these are ā€œexpensiveā€ decisions but she does have great merit. She also likes Florida - but itā€™s even more.

Good luck to all. Congrats Throwaway - you are extremely fortunate and Iā€™m sure itā€™s well deserved.

2 Likes

Honestly, a lot of it was simply being in the right place at the right time with the right mindset. Your daughter seems very talented, and she has a lot of great options in front of her. Wishing yā€™all the best of luck - Iā€™m sure that sheā€™ll find success regardless of where she matriculates!

Congratulations on your success! You canā€™t go wrong with those options. Best of luck at UNC!

1 Like

Does anyone know what is the regular decision release date?

Did anybody win one of the smaller specific scholarships? If so, are you going to accept it?

April 1, based on this page.

My D just received an email stating decisions will come out Wednesday, March 31 at 8:00 pm EDT.

good luck everyone)

Did anyone get in without test scores?

You may want to ask on the ED thread too. Perhaps some scholarship finalists on this thread were TO, but since RD decisions havenā€™t been released you may get better info on the ED thread. :grinning: