Washington College

Does anyone have any first hand experience with Washington College in Chestertown, MD? I’d like to know more about it.

Why not look at niche or reddit.

Take it with a grain of salt but you will see comments.

Washington College - Niche

It never seems to get play on the CC but I’ve read good things. But obviously, it’s small and not in an urban area, etc.

Good luck.

Thanks. I’ve heard good things too. It’s a 230 year old small liberal arts college with low student:faculty ratio and a good size endowment - not great but good for a school with an enrollment of 1300. Schools like that usually develop alumni in prominent positions as a donor base and reputations like the NESCAC Schools, 7 Susters, Quaker consortium, etc. Most of these are remote and not in urban areas either. I’m surprised that it’s not more prominent. In fact, most people don’t even know it exists and it’s easy to get accepted there.

If @Bill_Marsh is asking about it, it’s really unknown :slight_smile:

Some of the niche reviews discussed financial issues. This is directly from the school.

Most businesses evolve which typically includes pruning so they are little different. But I think these lesser known schools that have to compete on price often struggle.

1 Like

Thanks so much for this article, TSBNA.

We’re also looking at Washington College, curious to hear first hand experience… although I guess all of that got torpedoed last year for everyone.

Let me know if you still have questions! My daughter goes there (wasn’t ironically looking at small schools at all, just applied because it was the fee was waived during covid) and she loves it! Has had some great educational opportunities outside the classroom with professors and such. Dorms are decent, some newer stem buildings, and the student events board hosts a lot of activities. The town is super cute during the day too!

Also, we have new president who has brought in some great money and ideas. Dorms have just been refurbished, new dining hall company in charge and this: Washington College Awarded $5 Million Grant to Pursue Business Department Accreditation. (Google to learn more)