Washington & Lee University: Expectations vs Reality

If y’all want to discuss the name issue with W&L, be my guest. But if you want to do a comparative name issue discussion with other universities, please start a new thread.

Additionally, the general concept of diversity of W&L is fine as a discussion here, but the role of race in admissions needs to be combined to the singular allowable thread in the topic

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/race-in-college-applications-faq-discussion-14/3627043

1 Like

I realize everyone should feel welcome to discuss any topic on threads on the board but I find it interesting that so few Black and brown posters on CC seem to even engage with W & L threads.

Just some food for thought (on my part). This is one of the most aware groups when it comes to colleges and it doesn’t get that much engagement from URM here.

3 Likes

The truth is - there are cities, buildings, courthouses named for people all over that have what we consider stained histories.

At what point do we stop ? I don’t know if there is a point or not.

Right or wrong Robert E Lee was a presence at the college.

The US had slavery and in some ways still aren’t ‘United’ with pols in Idaho trying to absorb part of Oregon. And various efforts for Tx to break away or CA to split. And the status of Puerto Rico always disputed, with those folks citizens without all the same rights to vote.

Jews drive Benz’s, BMW, VW, and Porsche. I know Jewish people who work for the first three, get their livelihood from them.

I don’t know the answer but where and when does this stop ?

For those fortunate enough, W&L is providing a first rate education, top outcomes, and for many, extreme affordability. And that includes people of various faiths, ethnicities, and countries.

Good luck to all that decide to attend.

6 Likes

Actually, it gets very little engagement period.

4 Likes

African American students (and northerners) might have an issue attending a school named after a racist general who led a military insurgency to maintain slavery. Sorry, but not at all the same as driving a BMW.

5 Likes

Great idea to promote inclusivity and patriotism at W&L:

"The Lee in the name of the university can be retained, but the historical person can and should be changed.

Instead of Lee standing for Col. Robert E. Lee (he never reached General in our Army, the US Army) the Lee name should stand for his father, Henry ‘Light Horse Harry’ Lee. Robert was a traitor to our country. His father was a patriot, General, and friend of George Washington. The son fought against our country, trying to preserve White supremacy and the enslavement of our African American brothers and sisters. The father fought for the independence of our country from British tyranny. The father fought to create our country, the son fought to tear it apart."

4 Likes

I appreciate any and all perspectives of people. We are all consumers. We all choose where to work - yes I am Jewish and earn my living from a German company. I choose to.

I do see parallels to a Jewish person spending big on a German product with ties to Nazi-ism they will interact with daily. That’s just my perspective though.

W&L made a decision to keep its name. I respect their right.

I also respect the right of students and families who choose to look elsewhere for their education.

4 Likes

That’s one of my favorite articles and I’m all for it. I particularly appreciate the opinion because it was written by an alum from the Class of '66, when W & L was all male and white. (Excluding John Chavis, who attended in 1795 (when it was called Liberty Academy), the first Black student to matriculate was in 1966.)

3 Likes

Well, without mentioning any names, I think it’s important for W&L to decide whether it has the resources - the human capital - to undertake what additional diversity could entail. I’m thinking, a continuing focus on past omissions; the addition of activism to an otherwise quiescent political scene. And don’t think the issue will stop at just the student body; from there, it is just a short hop to making the staff and faculty more representative, too.

2 Likes

From what I have observed, they are approaching this aspect in reverse of your suggestion. In addition to the programs and departments mentioned upthread, they have expanded the Board and brought in younger and more diverse members (by gender/race/ethnicity), they are already investing in diverse administrators and faculty members in both the college and law school and they have DEI education in the required first year curriculum… in order to have the resources, leadership and appreciation in place that will attract a more diverse student body.

I understand the students are extremely accepting in day to day life, and I agree it is not a campus with huge amounts of activism in any area on a regular basis. It’s more live and let live with outspoken groups on each end of the political spectrum. However there has been recent noticeable support for the LGBTQ+ and African American student communities… from both students and faculty.

6 Likes

The faculty and staff at W&L is more representative of diversity than most. That objective has been achieved. It’s a positive one and they have obviously put a lot of productive energy into this initiative. If you haven’t seen this, visit or look at the website. It’s obvious wherever you look on campus.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Your source also says W&L has low male-female student diversity, when there are 49% male students and 51% female.

I don’t think anyone is saying W&L is perfect but frankly it’s not as bad as some, who have no more than a passing interest or knowledge of the school, say.

Also – go to the primary source!

https://www.wlu.edu/the-w-l-story/diversity-equity-and-inclusion/employee-hiring-and-retention/

For those that don’t want to click:

3 Likes

What about the people we saw teaching on our tour on Friday? Were they paid actors? Because if they were, that was the best marketing I’ve ever seen, and I’ve taken a lot of college tours.

2 Likes

I won’t answer for the other poster, but this is the basis of my quote.

A couple of points but much more detail in the links.

• From 2017-2021, 57% of faculty hired are faculty of color; 25% are African American;
  • Completed 2021-22 tenure-track searches resulting in 10 new faculty members of color, five of whom are women and six of whom are underrepresented minorities;
  • Continue to seek diversity in non-tenure track faculty appointments and visiting scholars, appointing underrepresented minorities to visiting faculty positions in six departments and the Law School in 2021-22 and four departments in 2020-21;
  • Added diverse staff in a number of administrative positions in Undergraduate Career and Professional Development, the University Counseling Center, Admissions and Financial Aid, Law School Career Strategy, and the Law Library.
  • Joined the Consortium for Faculty Diversity and the Ph.D. Project to generate more diversity within applicant pools;
  • Created a Professionals of Color Network, encouraging community-building, fellowship, resource-sharing, professional development, collaboration, and advocacy. The group supports W&L’s commitment to diversity and equity and works to create a climate where all of its members can thrive.
  • LACRELA: In November 2020, Washington and Lee University became one of 51 inaugural member institutions of the Liberal Arts Colleges Racial Equity Leadership Alliance, a new initiative from the University of Southern California’s Race and Equity Center. The alliance will provide resources that help member institutions develop and achieve equity goals, better understand and correct climate problems, avoid and recover from racial crises, and foster sustainable cultures of inclusion.

DEI Employee Hiring and Retention
DEI Institutional Efforts and Leadership

I agree that it is interesting the posters who drop in with a graphic who have no connection or real interest in the school. However, that affords posters who are invested in and have personal experience with the school to share our thoughts and information on initiatives those with a passing or casual interest may not be aware.

Edit: Sorry for the cross-post, @cinnamon1212

1 Like

I think college factual is 3rd party. May be accurate - I don’t know. I didn’t see #s from the school but would be the best source.

2 Likes

Not sure to which schools you refer. W&L is one of the whitest (and richest) of the supposed elite colleges. Regardless, I’m not sure “not as bad as some” ought to be the standard.

If they weren’t white, then they were likely representatives of the <10% of the faculty who aren’t white at the college. In other words, W&L is “marketing” the school as being more diverse than it really is. I can’t say I blame them, how else would they overcome the unfortunate situation they’ve created for themselves regarding diversity? I suggest you look beyond what they are showing you up front, at their events, as like with any other college they are going to show you what they think you want to see.

1 Like

The other poster claimed that the faculty was more representative of diversity than most. This isn’t true. That this what the graphic addressed.

I wasn’t referring to ongoing efforts on the part of the administration to address the problem, but in other posts I have acknowledged and applauded those efforts.

On the other hand, segments of the W&L community have not been nearly as supportive of the efforts to overcome the dark history of the school. There are active and powerful alumni groups (and some student groups) who decry the current efforts as “wokism” run amuck. And given the board’s refusal to take action on the name, it is not entirely clear that all of W&L is fully behind the efforts to reform the history. And we aren’t talking ancient history here. We are talking about strong symbolic ties to the confederacy within the last decade. It is a lot to ask of students to pretend like all is well and will remain well.

2 Likes

I agree that one shouldn’t be hoodwinked by admissions tours or admitted student events which are in large part marketing with better food in the dining hall, a lot of campus clean up and if they’re smart, enthusiastic speakers.

That being said, I’ve studied W&L as my daughter applied and was admitted. We had concerns about being Jewish.

I personally don’t see the school hiding behind anything.

They are very forthright and up front.

At least in my estimation.

They address what people ask about honestly and openly, moreso than others.

6 Likes

We’ve outlined the many ways W&L is addressing its terrible history. It seems that you expect the school to snap it’s finger and fix everything overnight (or, in a few years). You know that is not possible for any institution of W&L’s size. In my opinion, though, the school is actually moving about as fast as any university can.

4 Likes