Waste of time?

<p>Wouldn't it be a waste of time to send letters to students invinting them to special college events if you knew they weren't a good fit for the college? Or am I reading too much into this? I got a letter from Notre Dame about a multicultural weekend saying something about me being able to contribute to a diverse student body. Anyone else have a take on this?</p>

<p>Most of the invitations to the diversity weekends require an application. If they do choose you to come, it is a very positive sign. They are spending money for this, often flying you in at their expense. Good luck.</p>

<p>yeah, i might have gotten that too.
but notredame is too catholic for me.</p>

<p>Diversity weekends where one must apply and be selected (and where one’s travel is at the school’s expense) are usually really good. Swarthmore has one, and the acceptance rate for those who have participated in it is much higher.
From the way you describe it, I’m not sure if this is one of those programs. If it’s just making you aware of open events to which you can pay to go, it’s not really meaningful in terms of how much Notre Dame wants you. But if Notre Dame cares about demonstrated interest, it’s good to go.</p>

<p>Mouse, if you applied to ND, then perhaps you meet the demographics of what they are looking for. Did you apply?</p>

<p>I sure did.</p>